Displacement

Does the latest version of Unreal change anything in this topic.
It is a bit annoying that there is no official information about the basic function. Epic in Unreal 5 removed the telesection and did not give any information about how displacement will look like in the future

It seems that Virtual Heightfield mesh is the new way to go. I have seen examples of it being used to create snow and mud being displaced by a character.

Yes, this is one of the first solutions that emerged as a displcement replacement. But there are other solutions as well.
But all these are user’s ideas. The question is what Epic has to say. Does anyone know the official position.

2 Likes

Use Nanite. Pre-displace in DCC.

Source: The Matrix Awakens: Generating a World | Tech Talk | State of Unreal 2022 - YouTube

When building a scene in Unreal, after each change of texture or even tescture scale, I have to import objects from scratch. It can hardly be called an efficient solution.
No one from Epic can really say anything about this team. What are they planning, or what are they not planning.

The in-editor geometry tools have a displacement tool:

Also, you can reimport a mesh with one click.

Hi, this brightens up the situation a bit. You can find several solutions suggested by users. Less or more complicated. Certainly none of them is as simple and convenient as the telesection of 4. For users like me, this causes confusion. For this reason, I have chosen Unral4 for a large corporate project. But after few tests it turned out that displacement in Unral 4 does not work well with ReyTacing. Raytracing does not see Deformed mesh, the shadow cast is like cast by undeformed mesh. The hard thing is displacement in negative, it also does not work with Raytracing. For this reason I started to be interested in Unreal 5.

But many people do not know how to treat the latest version. Is it already a production version? Or still beta, not recommended for production.

It’s ready for production, but it’s a 5.0 release, meaning it’s the first version, so it should be treated like the first version. Some are saying to wait for 5.1 before using it, which is completely fine.

From what you write, you might think that nanite is the future.
In this tutorial below, there is a tip on how to use Unreal tools to create a deformation based on a displacement map. Then you should also convert the dense mesh to Nanite.
I agree that nanite is a great technology that will in the future replace imorting low poly and heavy displecment maps with pure mesh.