Displacement Problem For Object Corners

Hi, I’m using displacement in UE 5.3. All works ok except I can’t wrap the dispacement around corners. Below are screenshots and the ‘auto smooth’ solution in blender…

Does anyone know if this is possible in unreal?

Thanks,
Adam

The main reason for this effect is not enough geometry. How many polys is the mesh?

1 Like

Hey. Probably quite low as it’s just a default model imported from revit. Is there a way to increase poly with nanite/unreal?

You need a 45º normal in the corner so the displacement goes in the normal direction. Or you can export just the displaced mesh as a nanite mesh

2 Likes

You can use ‘retopologize’ in the geometry tools ( SHIFT5 ).

1 Like

With Nanite tesselation, the base mesh poly count is irrelevant. What matters is the normal vector. Hard edges meshes have two normals, so they displace in different directions. The easiest way to fix this is to add a bevel to the edge, and shade smooth like in blender, this will make each edge have only one normal and they will displace uniformly. Look into face weighted normals. This will keep the edges looking reasonably sharp, but ensure that the displacement doesn’t rip the verts apart.

3 Likes

You’re absolutely right :slight_smile:

Great, thanks for this. I’ll try this out when I get my laptop back. I’ll add the bevel in my modelling software (revit). Then, can I add the shade smooth in unreal? Where might I find this option? Cheers

yes…