Displacement not work on landscape.

I was trying to connect displacement map on my landscape material and the displacement value doesn’t show up in the viewport but still see that it’s applied in the material preview.

Hello Biomaschine,

Can you provide me with a screenshot of your material editor graph?

Can you also provide a screenshot of the material applied to your landscape actor within the scene?

Thanks,

My material setup

Here is a comparison on the result.

Left : UE landscape.

Right : Imported mesh plane.

Hello Biomaschine,

I ran some tests and found that the issue lies with the option ‘Crack Free Displacement’ within your material’s properties. This is causing your landscape to essentially flatten out your displacement whenever it is enabled. I ran some more tests to see if this affects other assets like static meshes, and it appears to only occur with landscapes. More than likely due to the way we choose to tessellate the nearest LOD, but that is just a guess. Use the link below to track the report I logged for this issue.

UE-38815

For now, I would just disable the ‘Crack Free Displacement’ option, and be sure you are not pushing the vertices too far to create cracks in your landscape. An increased tessellation value should help mitigate some of this effect, but also be careful with the amount of tessellation you use as performance can become a concern with too high of values.

Let me know if you have further questions or need additional assistance.

Cheers,

There’s a regression of this bug on 4.18.3.

I am in 4.19.1 and am getting this issue still.

same here in 4.19.2

Also find out that the UE4 Basic Meshes have the same issue. You need to add your own Meshes to get Displacement work.

Still happening on 4.18.3. A fix to this would be highly appreciated :slight_smile:

LogModelComponent: Warning: Material base_mesh_surface requires adjacency information because of Crack Free Displacement or PN Triangle Tesselation, which is not supported with model components. Falling back to DefaultMaterial.

I tried to mix 3 textures in editor and it works fine, but every time when I tried to draw the second or third layer I got a lot of errors and painted section reverts to default material :\

P.S. I use PN triangle tess, with enebled Crack Free … option. And if iy will be disabled problem stays. Fully Tess disabling can’t guarantee help too.

Faced with the same problem on the engine 4.21

@ Thanks for finally giving an effective solution for this bug. I thought I was crazy and must have disabled something, as my tessellation was working and stopped all of a sudden. Disabling crack-free displacement fixed the issue. The orange outline was displaying as displaced, but not the actual landscape. It would do a broad displace, which created one big pyramid shape for roughly 1k tris…Good to finally have working tessellation back.

4.22 Issue still persists. And thanks for the solution!

Still an issue in 4.25.4

thanks for the fix!

4.26 Issue still persists. Displacement Maps are not working. Ensured the Map is having Compression Setting VectorDisplacementMap, sRGB off, hooked up to material node World Displacement and next to it NormalMap to Normal… same as all Material Setups.
Took the Textures Export from Mixer right into UE4.
Tesselation enabled (Flat, also tested with PN Triangles)
The Preview Mesh is however flat. Mesh was a Cube.
In Mixer I am seeing the Displacement clearly, in UE4 is not visible at all. Checked in Wireframe, everything flat.

4.26 Issue still persists. Displacement Maps are not working. Ensured the Map is having Compression Setting VectorDisplacementMap, sRGB off, hooked up to material node World Displacement and next to it NormalMap to Normal… same as all Material Setups.
Took the Textures Export from Mixer right into UE4.
Tesselation enabled (Flat, also tested with PN Triangles)
The Preview Mesh is however flat. Mesh was a Cube.
In Mixer I am seeing the Displacement clearly, in UE4 is not visible at all. Checked in Wireframe, everything flat.

I am using a megascans material and I am having a similar issue. When I import a mesh the displacement works fine on the mesh, but when I am trying the same on a landscape generated with a heightmap, it simply does not work.

Seeing the exact same issue, tried all sorts of workarounds, no luck.