Displacement Map is moving mesh object, not material

I’m trying to use displacement maps and putting them together by following tutorials online. However, I’m running across an issue. Rather then displacing the texture based on the map, it is instead seemingly moving the entire texture away from the source mesh. Is there a way to fix this?

345011-material-displacement-issue.jpg

It seem like you don’t have tessellation on in your material settings. Try turning it on and see if that helps.

345022-tess.jpg

Also, if it’s still not right, you’re displacement map might be a signed map (i.e. 0.5 = 0, 0 = -1, 1 = 1)

try multiplying it by 2 and subtracting 1.

It could be a few things:

1. You cube needs more geometry. You have to make one in Blender for that.

2. For the displacement in your material, only use the red pin from the texture. I have no idea what using the full color pin does.

3. The displacement texture doesn’t look very ‘deep’. Try a material with a stronger displacement map maybe.

So, I did have tessellation on but it was set to Flat Tessellation. However, I tried changing it to PN Triangles and I’m still experiencing the same issue. Regarding the second suggestion, are you saying adjust the displacement material expression scaler parameters or something else?

Hey, sorry I didn’t respond yet. So the cube example is shown in the material preview section. I tried changing the displacement pin to the red pin, but I’m still experiencing the same issues. I still need to try using a better displacement texture although this texture is from Quixel which theoretically shouldn’t be having this issue.

This:

345075-screenshot-1.jpg