Disable All Lighting and Post Processing on Just one Material (video texture)

Hi,

I was wondering if there is any way to get a material to pass through without any lighting or post-processing? I’ve tried Opaque Lit vs Unlit. Lit is a no-go as it is affected by the lighting of the scene. If I do unlit I discovered that the material itself acts as a light source and so gets blown out by the post-processing that brightens up darker areas for the camera. I’ve tried making the material a post-processing effect where it runs after all effects but am using it wrong as it didn’t seem to have any effect. I’m trying to make a custom video texture, not using the built-in ones, and was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to achieve this effect where the colors are exact, untouched by lighting or post-processing in an otherwise post-processed scene. Another option would be to make sure it is perfectly rendered except for the post-processing for colour tones and stuff, but not treated as a lightsource so the gamma doesn’t blow up. Maybe there is an auto-adjusting gamma option?

Thanks!

If you’re trying to do a video screen then you need to add some emissive to the texture, just like a screen would have.

Otherwise, to disable post processing on a single object would require another render, which would slow affect performance. It’s technically possible but seems like it would be too much work to do for what you want.

Thanks for the reply. I am indeed using emissive on the material, in fact the texture itself is the emissive port on the material. As I mentioned though, for post-processing the emissive portion of the texture is treated as a light source and it gets blown out. I really wished i could possibly negate the effect of the scene brightening directly on the material.

Disabling post-processing needing a separate render makes sense and as you mentioned would be very expensive. Though if it is only for one object that might make sense. Is there any way to get my object to render at a different stage? eg: HUD stage? That certainly isn’t affected by post-processing.

Also, it is kindof weird that if one labels it a post-processing effect and tells it to be applied after tone-mapping and everything else, one would expect it to be passed-through as-is, no?

If it’s too bright then you need to adjust your exposure in the post process volume, you should be able to get things to a point to where the screen looks like it’s illuminated but not blown out.

I don’t know that you can render things in the scene like you would GUI. You can actually render a GUI as a 3D object now, but I think all the post processing gets applied to it.

I think that makes sense. I’ll try to find a way to make it look good without getting blown out. Now that I think about it, it would look a bit out of place without any post-processing to match the surroundings.