Directional Lighting ISSUE ?

Directional Lighting ISSUE ?

Hi there my problem is that :

• On Landscape when i set my DIRECTIONAL LIGHT to STATIC i get
    • No “Response” from DIRECTIONAL LIGHT CAST ON MATERIAL THAT ARE AFFECTED BY NORMAL MAPS… (try to USE NORMAL MAP FOR STATIC LIGHTING= No Noticeable Change)
    • So the ROCK NORMALS or the GROUND NORMALS are simply Almost FLAT…
    • Also the STATIC BUILD cost my level almost 10 MB less for the MAP when SAVING… (Also Great Performance)

ALL I WANT IS TO HAVE THE STATIONARY BUILD ON OBJECTS … BUT ON STATIC BUILD!!! IS THAT POSSIBLE??? WHY STATIC DOESNT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT NORMALS??? MAYBE THERE"S AN OPTION TO ENHANCE IT??

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!

b9bd95a4c4b23bfaea5078998a204d280ffc5f63.jpeg

If you want stationary light you need to set the light to be stationary mode.

In static mode, the ‘light’ is no longer there and the engine can only generalize 3 lighting directions that are always fixed in tangent space. So any lighting you have will be averaged into one of those 3 lobes so there simply isn’t much there for shading. The lighting at glancing angles suffers the worst because in effect the static lightmap pulls the light to always be a certain height above the polygon.

So the answer is simply no… I can’t get stationary results with a static build…

Do u or anyone happen to know if I set a stationary directional ligh, if I can set my movable objects to:

1. Don’t cast to other objects shadows
  2. Don’t cast self shadows

General to act like been static although they move in space?

Thnx!!

Correct, static and stationary are two completely different types of lighting.

If you want that you should be able to simply set “bCastShadows” = False. If you aren’t shadowing other objects and you aren’t shadowing yourself then you aren’t casting any shadows period.

Stationary should light your characters fine. What happens is when you rebuild lighting, it injects indirect lighting into the level’s indirect lighting cache. Your characters can sample this method either using ILCQ_Point (the default, faster) or ILCQ_Volume (more expensive but looks better with more sample directions).

The only difference with a stationary vs static directional light as far as your characters go is that the stationary light will cast dynamic shadows from other object onto your characters. With static light, the engine will use line checks to determine if the light hits.

I want directional light to cast shadows for static meshes.So it has to be ON.

Can I somehow get my movable not having ILCQ update, or if I set indirect to 0, and let those movable meshes get only " light as if static"?

Thnx again and I think this should close my questions

“I want directional light to cast shadows for static meshes.So it has to be ON.”

I am not sure what you mean by this. All types of directional lights will cast shadows on your static meshes. For static, this will be in the form of a baked lightmap. For stationary, this will be in the form of a baked shadowmap (but the dynamic specular and n dot L part is still dynamic). For dynamic, the shadowing and light contribution are both dynamic.

It seems we are talking past eachother a bit so I am just trying to get on the same page. What has to be ‘ON’?

‘Light as if Static’ doesn’t depend on your lighting type, it is more about how the actors light. But a dynamic light will still dynamically light an object that is set to “light as if static”, it just means it will lightmap any available static lighting.

By casting shadows ON I mean to have static meshes get light properly, cast self shadows and cast shadows to other objects.

What I don’t want is movable meshes to cast self shadows nor other object shadows ,but get a lighting map like as it was static So it doesn’t get updated when turning. I hope I explained it right this time!! Thnx again for your time!