Directional light stops at midday in day/night cycle

Hi there.
I have a day/night cycle created using this tutorial - A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Unreal Engine Forums

Here is what it looks like in my blueprints -

It works when the sun speed is set high enough, usually 2 digits like 10 or 30, but when set to something like 3 or .3 to which the sun speed is a lot more realistic, it stops rotating at midday for a certain amount of time. When set to 3 I’ve found it stops for about 30 seconds. Lower than 3 (e.g: 0.3) can stop it completely until i move the camera and character around, maybe look at the sky and stuff. This leads me to believe it has something to do with the frames updating?

If someone could shed some light on the matter i would be extremely grateful.

if you need a video demonstration i can gladly provide one for visual representation of the issue.

Thanks in advance!

It also stops at midnight when it starts with a night time cycle.
sun height is 1 at midday and -1 at midnight

Maybe it can only cover a 180-degree vertical arc. Maybe you have to move it from -1 to 1 then rotate its yaw and then go 1 back to -1 on the other side?

I don’t know exactly how I would do this without effecting the cycle…

So the best i could do to fix this is to completely redo the Cycle. I stopped using the level blueprint to do it and instead did it through the use of an actor in the world and timelines which has public references to my fog, sun, skysphere, post process volume and skylight for everything i needed to do.

Oh so it might have beem gimbal lock and it missed the gimbal lock condition when it moved faster because it skips past the perfect 90 degrees :slight_smile:

Okay so I just found a weird work around for this. I left everything in the Level Blueprint and did exactly what the tutorial said to do and it got stuck just like you said.

So I just changed the Make Rotator node in your first picture from the Y input to the Z input. This makes the Sun rotate around the horizon. Then I changed the Y Rotation of my Direction Light -100 which lined it back up but a bit off and it works at any speed. Something with the perfect 90 degrees makes it stop it seems. Not sure if i even had to flip the Make Rotator to Z.

This works for me (but is a little sketchy) The only downfall is the sun will jump 1 degree but at least the sun still sets and rises without stopping and you can have the sun as slow as you want. All you do is not allow the Actor to sit at -90 or 90 at the rotation it is doing.

Here is an example:

LORDROACH, I’m not sure how I’m supposed to work this into the day/night cycle blueprint I already have. I’m pretty new to blueprints. I tried what you’ve done here, but my sun keeps switching directions either at 91 or -89. Can you possibly show where that’s coming from and where it’s going?

Hey. Did you solve the problem? Have a same with directional light rotation. I’ve even tried to use quternions but no result(((