Difference in quality between Reality Capture and Reality Scan

Hello. Can anyone clarify the difference in qulaity that I can expect between Reality Capture and Reality Scan. I am scanning an artwork (1m x 1m x 1m) and plan to get a 3D Print made of it. Will Reality Scan give sufficient detail for a project like this? Many thanks.

HI Jakesjazz,
there are some differences, as RealityScan uses just mobile phone camera and RealityCapture can use any type of camera. Also, in RS you can capture just 200 images, which is possible that it wouldn’t be enough for such model.
But it really depends on your needs and precision.
3D print should be in the same size?

Hi Otrhan. Thanks for the response. The 3D print is to be the same size. I tried a Reality Scan of the model and when I imported it into Cinema 4D and removed the textures, I could see that the surface of the scan was very bumpy. The artwork is made of pieces of smooth card so I am keen to replicate that. I enquired about getting a professional scan done and was told that the surface of the artwork would need to be sprayed and would therefore destroy the original artwork. I am hoping that Reality Capture might avoid this.

Hi,
what do you mean by smooth card?
For photogrammetry the shiny and not textured objects are still an issue. There are sprays, which will vanish or you can try polarization filters.
Also, as you want to have it in the same size, you will need to use some distances or targets with coordinates to scale the model.

Thanks Orthan. The card is standard brown cardboard box card. I will have a look into the sprays. Iwas told that the spray had speckles in it.
Good note about scale. Thank you.

As it is a smooth card, there could be an option to project some texture on it and then take images with and without that texture. For that can be used some kind of data projector.

Following. I know RS gives you a preview of what parts of the object have been scanned, but I don’t know how I would know for RC. Since I’m using my iPhone, can I take the photo set from RS and import them into RC? Or is there a whole lot that I don’t know?

TIA!

Images taken while using RealityScan are saved in your phone (they cannot be found in the Camera Roll, but in the files), and you can use those images in RealityCapture.

The reconstruction in RealityScan uses RealityCapture in the background but with some already preset settings, so the models may differ, but they should look a like.