Dieselpunk Environment

Hi everyone! I’m back sooner than expected with a new project! This one is individual and will last till the last day of May. The main intention is to finish it to submit it to the rookies, Im so excited about it, so without further ado, let me explain to you mi idea and the creative process.

The objective of this project is to create a full environment/level based on the style of an existing game. I’ve always wanted to create a post apocalyptical project so my first references, of course were games like “The last of us”, “Walking dead” “Metro Saga”, etc. But then I realized that I wanted to add more “fantastic” or “sci fi” elements into the project, so I thought about Wolfenstein and I concluded that was the perfect game to be inspired by in this project. It has post apocalyptical landscapes, city in ruins and also very unique weapons and machinery designs, so I made a basic blocking of the level to start the distribution of the street (which is going to be destroyed).

Mi idea is to create a street of a city fully devastated by war (taking Wolfenstein as main reference) and this to make awareness and a space of reflexion of the consequences of war.

Here I share with you My moodboard and blocking, Hope you like it!

2 Likes

Hello again everyone! I will try to upload some more progress during the week (twice at least). I did some few adjustments on the blocking, making it a little bit clearer for you to understand my idea, so as assigned some basic materials in order to indicate what kind of props or areas Ill be working on.

Also I did some shots of the possible bookmarks (important stills) that are going to be shown, this really helped me to dimension the character and the player’s perspective on the level.

So here are some of the images, hope you like them!

1 Like

Hi Guys, Im happy to share with you this weeks progress! Its been a hard weekend due to all work, I’ve been wondering on how to make the destruction of the assets, firstly I tried the destruction in Houdini, but was quite hard to achieve the export with the surface and interior details that I would’ve liked. So I did some research and found CHAOS inside unreal, this plug in is really interesting, so along with the modeling tab within Unreal I achieved some interesting results; I have things to polish, but for the first approach and first attempt using fracture tab, I think Its good enough. For the next days Ill try to model some modular stuff (windows, walls, etc) and try to balance the destroyed assets between houdini, chaos and handmade modeling.

I was forgetting! I also started some blocking of the first person weapon for the game, based on Wolfensein. Here are some images, hope you like them!

2 Likes

Greetings, @Alex97ln; I’m sorry I’m late to the party; I hope you’re doing well! The blocking for your Wolfenstein-referenced Dieselpunk Environment is coming together nicely. Interestingly enough, I haven’t played a Wolfenstein game since my youth. That’s because I remember how difficult they were and could never beat them. :smiling_face_with_tear:

Regardless, I’m looking forward to seeing how your design evolves, and thank you for sharing the process with us here in the forums. :grin:

1 Like

@Zezkaii Hi! Dont worry, Its never late for a party! And yeah, Wolfenstein was a hell of a difficult game! Thanks for your support! Hope you enjoy the journey so as I will!

1 Like

Hi there @Alex97ln,

Hope you’re well!

Had to jump into the conversation and compliment that weapon design on the Blovking. That thing looks incredibly fun :smiley:

2 Likes

@PresumptivePanda Hi! Hope you are good as well! And yeah! I can tell you that I’m having such a great time modeling this weapon! I’ve been learning and doing some procedural modeling for a few weeks and being back to “classical” modeling with this incredible design is wonderful!

2 Likes

Don’t mention it! I’m just glad to know I wasn’t alone in enduring the pain a game such as “Wolfenstein” would cause. :laughing:

I wish you the best of luck with developing! :partying_face:

1 Like

Hello! what was promised is debt and I bring you my second post this week. I’ve been really busy between some bureaucratic paper work and with my other masters degree, but I made some interesting progress during the week!

To sum up, I finally finished the weapon blocking! So I started with the medium poly modeling and making it more detailed and complex at the time! Hopefully for the next weeks I would have the LP finished! On the other hand I also did some modular pieces to assemble some buildings, my purpose is to finish them with uvs and implement them in unreal on Monday, that way I could work on their textures, which I think they are going to be seamless tileable.

I also worked on the presentation part, which I think is very important as well, I have a design degree to and I thought It would be boring just to add the pictures without at least a simple design, so I worked a little bit more on templates for showing you my progress, and I have a new logo, which is going to be on every single one of them!

Hope to show you more about unreal the next days! for now, let me show you some pictures of the progress so far! Hope you like them!

2 Likes

Hi there! So its Monday, that means is post day! I have not done really a lot since my last post, basically I finished uv unwrapping of the first modular building so as some basic materials for testing only. I still have to work on some glass material and start assembling this buildings on a more correct and interesting way in the engine. I lost my vertex paint mat and opacity one so I had to made them again, so as a material for packed textures (rmao = rgb). So here are some pictures of my progress so far, enjoy them!

1 Like

Greetings @Alex97ln; I hope you’ve had a fabulous weekend and are having a wonderful Monday! You’re already making significant progress in this environment, even while being challenged with your other day-to-day tasks; keep up the great work! Also, there’s nothing like putting those degrees to good use - excellent use; the presentation looks lovely. :raised_hands:

1 Like

Thank you very much for your support!! And yees! I could not stand with the idea of just dropping the images without at least a simple design hehe. Its not the best one tho, but at least adds a lot more of presentation to the thread!

1 Like

Hello guys! Here I am, as i promised, to upload some progress twice a week. Sincerely I have not done much since Monday (we are having festivities called “fallas” at Valencia), so I decided to have some rest, travel and have a little time with my parents, who came from Mexico to visit me.

I’ve done with the Medium poly modeling of the weapon, and I started to do some sculpting, mainly of the back part because in the concept arts this part is leather, so I will have to stay a little bit of time sculpting this in order to achieve the results I want and probably I will have to do a leather material as well in the texturing part, we will see how that comes out. I expect that for Monday I will have more modular pieces assembled into unreal, with much more advanced textures an mats into the scene and probably, the finished sculpture.

So, here are my pictures for today! Hope you like them!

1 Like

Hello Again! So its Monday of post! I’ve been doing a lot of stuff for my project so as enjoying some school vacations!

I’ve already finished the HP for the weapon! I had such a great time combining hard surface modeling and texturing for the leather part at the back, I hope to finish the LP so as uvs this week! I also did a basic leather material using substance designer, Iv’e been learning to do some procedural mats and it really helped me put on this project, when Im done with UVS and start doing the full texturing on painter I will export this mat with exposed parameters so I can tweak it the best way to achieve an awesome result!

For the part of the engine, basically I kept doing some set dressing, there are a lot of rocks and damaged areas so the next weeks I will be working on filling those empty spaces with lots of details and debris! I also assigned some shattered glass materials to the windows of tome of the buildings, I have to work more on them and randomize a little the fractures, but i think they are looking good.

So tasks for this week would be: finish uvs of the second and third modular buildings, more set dressing (debris, assets, etc), and some progress on the weapons LP. Maybe its time to start blocking the light, so maybe i will give it a try on the weekend.

For now, here are some pictures, hope you like them!

1 Like

Hi everyone! Sorry Im late with the post! bit i’ve been haven some really occupied days! but i did some relevant advances on my project! I started doping the LP optimization of my weapon, so as the retopology of the sculpted part (leather bag at the back). I did some modular pieces of a broken building and added some more assets to dress the scene. I also started doing some lighting and post-process blocking. Here are some pictures, really hope you like them!

1 Like

Hi everyone! This would be the second post of the week!I’ve been really busy focusing all the work on the LP modeling of my weapon so as his respective UV’s maps, But I did some light arrangements on Unreal Engine but I’ll wait till Monday to upload them with the bookmarks an the first attempt of cinematics. For now I can attach the final Weapon with final uvs ( 5 UDIMS, were needed). It does not seems like a lot of work, but believe me, I’ve been struggling a lot doing proper UV’s during the week hehe. Hope you like the picture :).

1 Like

Hello Guys! So its finally Monday, which means I owe you some progress of my environment. As I said the last post, I basically did some adjustments as far as light is concerned; I added some post-process volume, atmospheric and exponential height fog and combined with some directional light I achieved this look, I think It really approaches to the reference, maybe in the future I’ll do some tweaking, but for now I think its ok.

For this week, I will probably do a lot of set dressing into the scene (more debris, more buildings, more destroyed assets, etc etc) I’ll may start implementing some vfx, I want the plane on fire but the most important ones would be some steam on the ground level and a rain system. I will start to introduce some vertex paint into the ground in order to randomize a little bit the material in the floor, and, of course a water material for puddles.

So, here are some pictures of my environment so far and the first camera animations, hope you like them! See you on the next post.

PD: For bookmarks (environment renders) I’ll upload them without frame/design in order for you to see the picture at its best resolution (1920x1080).

2 Likes

Hello, again @Alex97ln; I hope you’re having a fantastic Monday! This initial cinematic of your Dieselpunk Environment is beautiful; the addition of post-processing volume, atmospheric, and exponential height fog, combined with directional light, has taken your creation to new peaks! :star_struck:

While I do fancy your frame/design, I wholeheartedly agree that these attached screenshots are pleasingly enjoyable at their best resolution. Incredible work with this update; keep it up! :grin:

1 Like

Hello @Zezkaii! Thank you for your comments and support! I’ll try to give my best on developing this project, hope you like the results!

1 Like

Hi everyone! Sorry for the delay, I’ve been having some problems with the computer and some files, but I managed to achieve some interesting results.

I finally finished the main weapon! Ill share with you the final results. The next step is to implement it into the first person blueprint and replace the basic weapon with it.

I also took a little time to improve the lighting a bit, I think is close but I need to spend a little bit more of time to achieve the final result. In the other hand I did some modular models of a billboard and some construction materials . I finished the substance painter material and exposed some parameters in order to manipulate them better there and finally I added a new ground underneath the destructed area and some vfx fire particles system.

I did some new sequences, I still have to tweak them more in order to achieve a better result, but for know here are some advances. Hope you like them so far!

1 Like