Dieselpunk Environment

Hi guys! Im back with more things to show you about my environment! Firstly, I must say that I’ve been having some troubles with the files, It seems that MacOS (OS, that I work with at home) have some problems Building light in UE, so Unfortunately, I could not do much things on UE this weekend. With a little luck, tomorrow Ill have access to the schools computer so Ill do some cinematics down there. So without further ado, let me share with you my project so far!

Past week, I decided to work mainly on set dressing for the Unreal part (I knew that I only had chance to work with UE at school, so thats why I decided to work the set dressing as much as I can) I added some decals to the scene, added a few more models, foliage and implemented the weapon in the first person BP.

This weekend I decided to keep modeling more important things, I added more buildings at the background but I started modeling more destroyed ones for the parts that are going to be shown on the cinematics (so they need to be more detailed). So far this building is just basic mesh for zbrush sculpting, mostly on the interior broken part. Also I will add more debris and broken wood in order to get more realism to the scene.

I also finished the blocking of the tank, It was really fun to model, so as a subway station.

I think this two/three weeks are going to be full focus on modeling the rest of pieces that are left on my scene, so luckily Ill have all May to do set dressing, add particles and work more on cinematics and narrative.

I was forgetting, I will also attach The references of materials I based my weapons texturing on. And a storyboard of the final shots for the cinematics, I will be working more in detail on them when I solve the problem with my UE files and work more confortable with the engine.

Here are some pictures the pictures, hope you like them!

upload://jb5QW8IWrSPSnb9tZbOo7Rb3Vq1.jpeg)

1 Like

Hi, Im back sooner than expected, as I promised, here are the first pass of narrative cinematics and a new gameplay. Hope you like them!

1 Like

Hello Guys! Sorry for the delay, I’ve been quite occupied doing lots of stuff, but as promised I have new pics to show you!

This week I worked on the HP of the tank, It has been a really interesting thing to model. This week I will try to have the LP with uvs ready to be texturized and with a little basic rig for the cannon animation.

Regarding to UE, I did some set dressing, a vertex paint for the broken ground, some debris and dust decals, I added a really cool rain system, which adds a lot more of personality to the scene. I also added some dust vfx somewhere down there to give more realism to a devastated city.

Finally I started working more on the cinematics (and tell a story through them), which are divided in two, the first part of them, are going to be for establish the environment and the other part is focused on the main character from a subjective camera simulating what he sees.

So here are some shots, pics and the cinematics for you to enjoy! See you next week!

2 Likes

Hello guys! Finally, its Monday and is the first day of May! which means that i have only one month left to finish this project, I’m quite nervous because this project is meant to be presented in the rookies.

This week I finished modeling and texturing the tank, I also did a basic rig and animation. In the other hand, I also kept working on cinematics and lighting, I think I almost achieve the final lighting.

This next weeks Ill be focused on finishing to model all the assets left, this way I can spend the rest of the time doing the final set dressing, Optimization, cinematics and video editing.

For now, here are some pics an videos of this week progress, hope you like them!

1 Like

Hello again, @Alex97ln; I hope you’re having a fantastic Monday, and I’m also sorry to see you’ve been running into some issues these past couple of weeks! Despite these challenges, these past couple of updates, especially the cinematics, have been amazing! With it being the final month left to finish your project, how close would you say you are to the final product? :eyes:

1 Like

Hi @Zezkaii, Thank you for the support! And, I dont know, I would say that Im around 75% close to the final product, maybe a 70%. I still have to model some stuff and keep working on cinematics and set dressing. I think I have the exact time to finish!

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying, and no need to thank me for the support; I’m merely happy to see such a fantastic project come together! You’re almost at the finish line; full steam ahead! :steam_locomotive: :grin:

1 Like

Hello everybody! Sorry for the delay i’ve been traveling and feeling kind of tired due to it, but Im back with some new things! We are entering the final part, there are two weeks left, basically 90% of the environment is filled, This couple of weeks Ill be working on filling empty gaps and replacing blocking elements with 3d models, more set dressing and a lot of work in the cinematics. This week I focused on cinematics, cloth simulations, an implementation of HUD/UI into the gameplay. Hope you like it so far!

1 Like

Your dedicated efforts over these past few months have resulted in a stunning Dieselpunk Environment; fantastically done! These recent screenshots, in particular, remind me of the “Wolfenstein” series I enjoyed playing when I was younger! With only two weeks left, I can’t wait to see the finished creation and cinematic results. :partying_face:

1 Like

Thank you for the support, I am relieved that my project reminded you to Wolfenstein, that means that I am doing it right jeje. And yeah, now im working on details, set dressing, cinematics. I can say that 95% of work is already done! So hope to show you here the final result!

1 Like

Hello everyone! So this is the last week I have to finish my work! Im happy to say that is almost finished! I had some strange issues regarding to fps while playing, so I this week I will focus on optimizing as much as I can, so as final set dressing and final cinematics. Soon I’ll show you the final videos! For now, here are some boommarks of the final environment. Hope you like them!

2 Likes

Excellent Work, @Alex97ln, and congratulations again on making it this far in your development journey! Watching your creation evolve over the past few months has been a pleasure, and I’m sure your teacher will be impressed with the results of your design, just as I will! :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Thank you so much, Im really grateful for joining me through this journey this past months! It has been quite fun and hard but, definitely worth it. Monday is deadline, so when i finish, I will upload the final results in here and then post my entry into the rookies.

1 Like

Good day, @Alex97ln! I am excited to witness the outcome of your project, and I wish you the best of luck in the grading process! Your excellent work is sure to earn you a high grade. :grin:

1 Like

Thank you! Im excited to show you the results as well! I’m fixing last moment details in order to generate the best entry posible at the rookies, promise to upload the final results asap!

1 Like

No worries! Take all the time you need; no rush. I’ve seen “the rookies” mentioned before amongst other users. Is it a competition for upcoming developers? :slightly_smiling_face:

As the matter of fact, it is! We were supposed to create our environment for submitting it into the contest, there is a lot of talent out there, cant wait to see other people projects!

1 Like

So the here is the end of the line! It has been a pleasure sharing this wonderful project with you. As I promised, here are the final results.

Here is my rookies entry: Dieselpunk Environment | The Rookies. Wish me luck!

Hope to see you around soon with a new project!

1 Like

Congratulations on completing your final short cinematic render, and thank you for the clarification! The scene/screenshots are incredible and filled with intense emotions/tension that one cannot shake. Your impressive skills and passion were evident throughout this project, and I thank you for sharing your process with us! Your submission is more than substantial and has the potential to compete with the best. I wish you the best of luck in the Rookies competition! :clap: :raised_hands: