Did something change in the way multiplayer is working in UE5?

I’m not sure if something changed in UE5, but even when i have Number of Players set to 2, and the mode as ListenServer, when i launch the project and click the Solo Game button on the Host-window, it launches the game for both players.

Also when i create a Session on the Host-window, my host gets loaded into the LobbyLevel like it should, but the client launches a Solo game?

I’m really confused, i have it setup similar as i would in UE4 and it’s a very minimal setup so there’s not much that could go wrong.

Could you provide more information/details? E.g. pictures of your code where you show your nodes for creating the Lobby/Session and the functions for solo play / servertravel?

1 Like

Both are in my GameInstance, and are called from a Menu Widget.

Everything i do in the window created for the Client seems to work as expected ( starting a Solo Game, Hosting a Game ( and then the server can join as well ) ).

But as soon as i do something on the Window created as Host, it will also make the client do things.

1 Like

Are you using NetMode => PlayStandalone?

That seems to work!

Huh, i’m confused. In UE4 i always used to test with the ‘Listen server’ option and that worked fine. But in UE4 the first option was ‘Play Offline’ and now it’s called ‘Standalone’.
Did i do it wrong in the past?

Anyway, thanks for the replies!

PlayStandalone => Test functions of your menu / functions for creating or finding a session. You are using Standalone here because you don’t have a session yet (no server, no client).
PlayAsListenServer => Test functions as the server (you are in a session)
PlayAsClient => Test functions as the client (you are in a session)
The last two methods are for testing the server/client interactions, replication, etc. when you are in a session and have a map to play in (lobby map, gameplay map). The first one will let you use every seperate game window as a standalone game to test your functions independent from each other.

2 Likes

Ah ok, so if i want to test a level and dont want to have to go through all the menus i can use the server/client options and load the level instantly?

And what about if i use the Standalone option, and actually connect through the menus and launch a game, i’m still testing a propper server-client listen server right?

Thanks again. Sorry for being a noob, i’m just confused because it turns out i got it wrong in the past.

Yes, that is correct

1 Like

Thanks for clearing things up!