Download

Developing for VR, mastering Forward Shadin, tips and tricks

Hello everybody

We are actually developing our VR game, and I’m here to ask few tips, give any experience I can learn and progress in forward shading.

I will keep this thread up to date for some time, hope this will help newcomers.

See you.

Ok, so first day.

Forward shading is very powerful for VR, a real boost in performance indeed.

The thing is that it crushes all my reflection capture cube / sphere and so my decals. I know planar reflection are suposed to work, but I have leaking walls in every room, I can’t put that everywhere (performance heavy I understood…).

How would you handle liquid materials, guys? Puddles leakings etc through decals…

Make sure you turn on High Quality Reflections on any material you need accurate reflections on. Without it, it won’t apply parallax correction or blend the reflection captures.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try that. But does it mean I can keep my reflection cubes/spheres?

Edit : ok, for now, decals seem to be unable to activate highquality reflections. Do I have to activate HQ on the material the decal is applied?

Edit 2 : screenshot to understand.

The puddle is a defered decal.

ClipPlane activated. HQ and planar reflection on the ground material ON. Nothing seems to run with the decals.

Sorry, I have no idea how it works on decals.

For now it doesn’t seem to work with decal. On a material no problem, it works fine and it’s gorgeous, but Decals doesn’t show planar reflections…

If anybody form the APIC team reads this do you have any tips?