Destructible Meshes - Two Part Tutorial

Here is my first tutorial covering Destructible Meshes.

Part 1:youtube.com/watch?v=QIvcTwlosMQ
Part 2:youtube.com/watch?v=8x7g14mNBbg

This is my first time ever doing a tutorial, I hope its helpful and easy to follow!

Cheers,

These were great and very easy to follow! Thanks .

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Hey, just thought I’d drop by and say that the two videos you made were actually very easy to follow along, and they do the job nicely. Good stuff :)!

Thanks man appreciate that, shall hopefully do more very soon then!

Very Nice Little tutorial, thank you.

No problem, thanks for checking it out!

Good Stuff. Thanks!

Excellent tutorial, thanks for sharing :wink: I had no idea it could be so simple!

Hi , great tutorial

For some reason I only get depth 0 preview, not depth 1 (on the little dropdown menu), so the destructible does not work, anything I maybe missing?

Are you sure you clicked on fracture mesh? That should generate the destructible model which is preview depth 1

Awesome tutorials ! Keep up the great work !

I like your tutorial, congratulations, was excellent.
A doubt, can enable the destruction of a mesh via blueprint?

This is really nice, short and to the point! Thanks for doing these :slight_smile:

Weskey: Yes it’s possible, make sure you have the mesh selected, then in the level blue print add reference to, then drag it out and use one of the apply damage nodes. Hope this helps.

Cheers gregdumb :wink:

So when i follow your tutorial in the first person project everything works fine. However when i try to do this in a blank project or even the sidescroller project i can’t get it to work. When i get to the part where you change collision to block all, nothing happens. The meshes seem to lose their collision altogether. Any one else having this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, thanks for the tutorial, do you have any idea why meshes only break on the 2nd fall / hit.
the same thing happens in your videos and in my project, when a destructible mesh falls, the first time it hits the ground it just bounces back a bit, then fall again, and finally, on the 2nd time it hit the ground, it breaks.
that is not realistic and i don’t understand how it happens and how to avoid it.
Apparently Damage settings are independent from it.

Thanks.

just what i needed…thank you

Hi! I’m working on a first person game, and I am trying to make it so that the character can shoot glass blocks and they will break. I have followed the first tutorial exactly and when I shoot them, they just bounce around? Do you have any suggestions on what to try?

What are you damage settings set up like in your destructible? Have you set up the collision properly for the destructible and the projectile? The projectile (assuming you’re using the yellow ball projectile form the first person template, right?) needs to have the collision capsule set to overlap with destructible and the destructible will need to be set to overlap with projectile in the collision presets. This will generate an event when they overlap so that impact damage registers to trigger the applied damage.