[DEPRECATED] Marketplace FAQ and Guidelines

Hi kamrann! Sorry for the delayed response.

Yes, we’re allowing code plugins now on a limited basis. We’re developing and streamlining the processes for integrating submitted code plugins with the engine, and so we are reviewing submissions on a case-by-case basis to see which we can support in the near term and how to plan to better support all submissions in the future. Right now, we’re collecting information for everyone interested in developing code plugins and developing standards. We’re still working out our precise requirements, and this is what we require as of now:

* Integration source code (not the full code plugin source, only the source code for the parts of the plugin that integrate with UE4)
* A signed Marketplace Distribution Agreement, and any amendments needed for special cases
* Plugin must be 4.8 compatible and build against the latest binary distribution of 4.8
* Plugin files are restricted to the single folder underneath Plugins
* Submitter must be willing to update with each major engine update (4.7, 4.8, 4.9, etc)

I’ll get updated folder structure info ASAP. Thank you for pointing that out!

Can I include the animation starter content provided by Epic in a character submission? Can I use that animation on my character and include it with the character package instead of just submitting character and then the purchaser having to retarget to the same animations? Or am I required to do the animations separately from scratch for my character?

Will the marketplace allow joint submissions? (ie:Valve’s model, the initial uploader can add other steam users and a % of proceeds they would receive)

Hi earthur! Generally we prefer not using starter content in the submission unless it’s for presentation purposes, and if it consists of most of the submission’s content. If you have a lot of existing animations in addition to the starter content and are simply using the starter content as a base, that’s probably okay. But if the animation starter content are the only animations provided with your character, we’d prefer you didn’t include it.

I should add that we don’t require animations for character submissions, only that they’re at least rigged for animation, and preferably to the 4.8 skeleton if it makes sense for the character proportions.

Hi, ! We don’t currently support that kind of %-split payout on the Marketplace side. We may consider supporting it in the future (I personally think it’s a cool idea, and I’d like to make it work), but there are a lot of hurdles we’d need to clear to do that because of the complexities of legal agreements and remitting payments. In the coming weeks we’ll be rolling out a vastly simplified signup process to collect the legal and financial information for Marketplace submitters, and that’ll make a feature like this much easier to pitch. :slight_smile:

Thank you ! For some reason I assumed I was required to provide animations with the character, after rereading the submission requirements I see that it is not required. The character is rigged to the new 4.8 skeleton, I re-proportioned a few parts to make sure it works seamlessly with all the animations that are in the starter animations. I have quite a few extra animations beyond the starter ones too, around 30 “fill in the blank” type animations, like shoving, door kicking, diving, throwing…things like that. I may just add more to them and submit them separately as a pack. I was looking at it like a “value added” kind of thing to save time for anyone who purchased it to already have loads of animations with the character.

Thank you again for your response.

That sounds cool! The animation variety there will be really helpful for people working with the 4.8 skeleton, and we’re always looking for more great new characters. I’m looking forward to seeing what you have in store. :slight_smile:

Thanks. It would be awesome, I can see much more valuable packages being available on the market that way.

How can I change my thread from WIP to Submitted?

Flag down a mod and they can help you out. :slight_smile:

I don’t get it :o where is flag down a mod!! sorry

Sorry, I should have been clearer. In your thread, either change the title to “[MOD PLEASE CHANGE]” or send a moderator a Private Message requesting the change.

Thanks, Done

Please can someone confirm if this rule is still up to date
Q: Can I use marketplace assets in engines other than the Unreal Engine?

A: Yes, you can use purchased Marketplace content in engines other than the Unreal Engine. The only exception is any content offered for free by Epic, such as the “Open World Demo Collection” or our tutorial resources.

I don’t see why it wouldn’t be. If its still on the site then its safe to say it is. =)

In the seceond Q you mention Coming Soon -column, but… where it is? Where can I see which items are about to come soon to marketplace?
This would then help the purchase decision: If i.e I am about to purchase grass system, and would see that there is a new one coming likely in short time, I could wait a bit to compare them when the new one is released. Anyway such would help in many situations. I see there is some here in this forum marked as [Coming Soon] in title, but is there any official list of ones that are on the waiting line?

Some of these FAQs are a little outdated. The coming soon tab was used when trello was part of the submission process. Due to community input it was discontinued in order to optimize submission times. =)

when will be able to release free content to the marketplace ?

When the backend is close to fully automated, I believe. For now most of the work is done manually and free assets would just add more overhead to staff.

do you guys have any ETA, though?

is just speculating at this point. We don’t know if Epic will provide free asset support for the marketplace. Currently the community has released such content in one of the appropriate subforums below.