Deleting a static mesh also deletes foliage

Hello,

I have a strange bug with the foliage system. I painted a bunch of trees onto a static floor mesh, and then I moved the trees off to the side as background elements.

Later on, I wanted to delete that static floor mesh and replace it with another piece of geometry. However, when I deleted the floor mesh, a bunch of trees got deleted as well. Has anyone else had this problem?

I also tried replacing the floor mesh, but the trees still got deleted.

Thanks in advance!
Anthony

bump, i am having the same issue. I was hoping selecting the foliage group and right clicking and Attach To would work but it does not seem to. Can any one help?

Same issue here, for me the following workaround did the job:

• open the level
  • replace the floor mesh (you see foliage disappearing)
  • save all but NOT the foliage instance actor (using one file per actor here)
  • reopen the level (without saving the foliage actor)
  • foliage is back!

My new floor mesh was pretty similar shape than the old one. Don’t know if this trick will work with any mesh.
My second option was converting foliage into static mesh

Simply rendering the foliage invalid by selecting it and pulling it off the mesh (up on z preferred) should (and was in prior engine versions) be enough to allow you to delete whatever static mesh it was on, replace it, or do pretty much anything really.

After you have the mesh replaced, you can simply select all the invalid instances within the foliage via the dedicated button, and hit the Home key to have them automatically snap down to the first collision they find.

Beware of when you hit home though.
If you have something like Grass and trees as invalid, you probably want to manually move the meshes closer to the floor mesh before you hit home; they can and often do collide with one another so you can end up with grass over the tree canopy for instance.

1 Like