Dedicated server on Internet instead of LAN?

Hi there!

I’ve been following along with this tutorial that covers setting up a dedicated server:

With it’s help, I’ve successfully managed to create 2 executables for my game (Client and Server). Using the console command on the client, I can join the server hosting the game on another PC via LAN, but I have no idea how to go about connecting to a server outside of my network. Do I need to do something different on my server machine to access an external IP? (I’ve been using the 192.168.1.XXX one, which I believe is only accessible via LAN).

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I’m a bit of a newbie when it comes to networking.

Thanks!

You connect to it the same way, it doesn’t matter if server is on internal or external network.

The only difference I found is that when you attempt to connect to server from command line, using domain name (rather than IP number), client interprets the string as level name, and tries to open it.

If you implement connection via blueprints or c++ this problem doesn’t exist – domain names get resolved correctly.