Dedicated Server, Closed Ports for public IP

I’ve been trying to find a way to make the ue4 engine’s dedicated server open a public port for a week, but it seems that the default GameSession and SteamNetDriver/Sockets don’t include the code to pass traffic publicly through the port. Help

2 Likes

I’ve literally been on the same issue as well for the last 2 weeks. I wanted to setup P2P multiplayer with the collab viewer template over WAN rather than a local LAN network but can’t get it running. The problem I have found is the port only works locally and, despite forwarding it, my server specification will not work with the public IP, only the local/private IP. Unreal documentation recommends NAT traversals ontop of what you’ve done in your screenshots - all of which combined are just too much and too complicated.

The solution I’ve found is a halfway house. I’ve ended up using ‘LogMeIn Hamachi’ to link two computers into a same low-latency and low data transfer server then connected through there. This works just about for my purposes.

However, my suggestion would just be to say screw it and go for the full dedicated server hosting of which I’m sure you’ve seen many tutorials and posts advertised for - like AWS or SteamSubsystems etc

2 Likes

I understand, but for me using hamachi to host and players needing to use hamachi to enter multiplayer mode in my project is definitely out of the question. I’m packing the project in the Dedicated Server version in “Shipping” mode, because I believe that the public port doesn’t work in the editor or debug version. When I’m done, I’ll let you know if it worked.

1 Like

ive also tryed: “-server -ip=192.168.15.8 -port=25567 -log”

To ensure that it is not my ISP that is blocking the port, I opened a minecraft server with ports 25565 and it worked, but the ue4 server state on port 25567 does not work. (I forwarded ports for both in the modem settings.)

1 Like

I made a discovery, I bundled the server and game client, started the server host on my pc at my local ISP, the game client and put it on a second computer connected to my mobile ISP (4.5G LTE) via Hostpot Wifi to test the connection to the server via public internet, the connection was successful, I connected the client using my public WAN IP: port of my modem. Conclusion: do not rely entirely on services for testing ports and pings on websites, what happens is that the dedicated UE4 server blocks ping and test packets that did not come from a UE4 game that is the same version of the server, this behavior it’s different in some dedicated servers of other games like “Minecraft server” that accept any packets and pings from any connection from anywhere and return open ports on the site, this is probably just a security measure :slight_smile: .

1 Like