Decals will not appear on translucent glass

Hi all! I have tried to set the an opaque and or masked material objects in front of the glass to hidden in game and not visible in order to apply the decal to the object. I can’t seem to understand why the collision for the glass simply disappears once the material is set to translucent. Is it an engine bug? I am using engine version 4.26.2. It seems if the object in front is not visible the decal does not apply even though the collision should still be there due to the glass being a static mesh with collision.

Visibility should have no part in how decals are applied as long as the object in front has collision with the proper physical material attached. What am I doing wrong? I need a visual representation to better understand how to correct the issue, if anyone would be so kind as to better understand how to create the desired effect. Thank you for your time and patience.

A decal on a hidden-in-game objects should not render on that object, right?

Decals on transparent surfaces may have trouble – decals render into the g-buffer, which doesn’t contain transparent pixels. This is where the recommendation is “spawn a static mesh card in front of the object, and put the decal on that card.” The card needs to have a masked (rather than translucent) material for that to work, and the mask needs to match the decal. And that object cannot be hidden.

Actually, the material doesn’t have to be masked – I think it could be marked as “not render in main pass” – but this is not the actor “hidden in game” property.

1 Like

Hello again jwatte! Thanks for the clarification.

I attempted to use the setting I tried to apply the decal to the mesh. No dice for some reason. I really want to accept that as a solution though lol. Also as insurance I made a mask that is identical to the decal that I am spawning as well.

Check it

1 Like

I found a work around. I just made the glass as a destructible mesh and broke the glass via impulse instead of using decals.

1 Like

Thank you for your time!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.