Decal applied to a plane leaks into other surfaces

Hello everyone, I’ve been trying to implement a system that allows you to change Deferred Decal material attributes per primitive. My initial approach was to change the values by using custom primitive data, but I realised it does not work with the Unreal Decal Actor.

Knowing this, I decided to go with Mesh Decals by using simple planes with the Deferred Decal material applied, and everything worked as expected, except right now Decals leak into other surfaces even if they are placed bellow.

I’d be pretty grateful if you could help me with this or if you faced this situation before.

Thank you!

It’s not clear what’s happening there :slight_smile:

I assume you either don’t want it on the floor, or the ball?

You can limit the axes used by a decal with this method

Hi!

What I expected to happen is that the plane that behaves as a Decal does not affect the ball, only the floor. It is weird because the Decal is right below the sphere so it should not be affecting it.

1 Like

If it’s just a mesh, you’re right, it should not affect the ball?.. :thinking:

I’ve got more information, if I preview the DBuffer information, the MeshDecal is not taking the sphere into account to be projected while the regular DecalActor is occluded as expected.

1 Like

But depending on the angle it does weird things…

Is has to be the material, placing a plane there, wouldn’t have this effect.

1 Like

I’ve tried to make the simplest material possible for this situation and it does not change anything. Really really weird to be honest.

1 Like

Can you not simply untick receive decals on the sphere mesh?

1 Like

I found the solution and it was pretty simple, somehow Near Clip Plane value was changed to 0.01 via DefaultEngine and it was messing up DBuffer behaviour.

Thank you guys for your help with this!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.