Deactivate Niagara Systems by Distance?

So I have an issue with my particle systems in the level still impacting performance regardless of if they’re rendered… in fact setting a max draw distance has seemingly no effect, and neither does setting the spawn rate to 0, thousands of particles or none at all it doesn’t seem to matter. So I assume it’s still calculating stuff no matter what. Is there any way to actually deactivate them by distance?

2 Likes

I had a similar issue where I would enable Camera Distance Culling in the particle system, and could see that working as intended (particles would stop rendering when I moved past the max distance. But they were still showing up in stat uobjects with massive draw calls. These Niagara systems were in a blueprint. I went to the system in the BP, and set Allow Cull Distance Volume to false, and now there are no draw calls showing up in stat ubjects (even when the particles are clearly rendering, mysteriously enough). I think if you don’t have cull distance volumes set up, they might still be processing away regardless of whether or not they’re rendering.
EDIT: Nevermind. After restarting the engine the calls are back.