Day/Night Cycle Moon Troubles...

So I’m still poking about with my Day/Night Cycle and it’s coming along nicely:

The Issue:
I want to do something cool/interesting with it by adding a moon, but unlike the sun (which was a simple sphere mask material effect) I want to get some actual detail to it as well. So I made a moon mesh and placed it into the scene only to realize that the sky dome’s clouds would be behind it at all times making it look like the moon was within the planets atmosphere which would make zero sense + look silly. I’ll be messing with weather stuff soon too, so this issue needs to be corrected before I can really move on.

Moving the Moon behind the sky dome obviously didn’t work since it gets blocked out by the sky dome mesh. I’ve also tried using another sphere mask, but I can’t seem to get anything to look right/good (well I COULD make it a plain white color, but that’s a bit boring). So anyone have any suggestions for me?

Here’s a pic of something kinda similar to what I’m aiming for (just to help give a better picture of what I want to do):

Have you tried just making the moon really big and far away? (so that it exists beyond the cloud mesh)

Here’s a video explaining something similar done for Solus.

http://www.solusthegame.com/img/day_night_large.jpg

Errvald beat me to it!

This is a great example to get you started with creating your own celestial bodies for the sky!

Thanyou! Guess I’ve got quite a bit of watching to do now lol.

edit
Ah that’s a simple fix, add another dome just for the clouds that’s closer to the player than the moon. Really do love how helpful his tutorials are :slight_smile:

Hey another question for you guys:

Can any of you explain how the settings for the eye adaptation stuff work? I’ve read the documentation a few times now (https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/PostProcessEffects/AutomaticExposure/index.html), but I’m just not quite understanding how it works still.

I want it for my game, but at the default settings it causes the Sky dome to turn almost white at night which looks bad. So I played with the settings, and got it to stop doing that, but now it just simply stopped working altogether lol. So I figured it might now be time to ask for help before I break it any further :o

Have you seen the documentation page for it here?

This is something that is on by default. If you want to control it by using the settings you’ll need to add a post process to your scene that covers any areas you want to be affected by it. You’ll then check the boxes with the ones that you want to override the default values with. In this case you’ll locate Auto-Exposure and enable it along with any of the other choices there and change the settings to fit the look you want.

Yeah I know how to get to it (And yeah I saw that page, I linked it just above your post! lol), I just wanted to know if someone could explain it a bit more on what does what/how each part of it works. Since atm, I’m not quite understanding it enough to customize it properly. I hope that makes sense.

—Spent some time trial and error style until I got it figured out for the most part I think…—
edit^^^
Yeah still not quite where I want it. I want to keep the eye adaption effect for dark rooms and such, but I do NOT want it to be able to adjust to the sky dome as it brightens the sky way too much. I can fix it by lowering the min brightness, but then it lessens/kills the eye adaptation effect for the dark rooms that I mentioned :frowning:
double edit^^^
I’m just going to make a separate thread for the Eye stuff since I might be more likely to get an answer that way as it will not be so off topic from the OP.

So I’m still trying to finish up the moon, and for the most part I like it, but there are a few issues still present with the poor little guy:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=A5rrvvW7cvo
First Up:
The lighting for the moon during the night to morning transition looks really bad imo (or am I overreacting?), but I’m not sure what to do to improve it :frowning:
Suggestions?

edit
Never mind, I’m moving on to something else to work on now. This thread is pretty dead atm anyway lol.