Datasmith support of Rhino's Sub-Object Materials [Solved]

hello
in rhino you can apply a material in sub-obj mode (a face of a cube for example) but when importing it into unreal the objects with two materials that one of them is a sub-obj material are imported into unreal with only one material for the whole obj.
this not being supported creates a very tedious and time consuming workaround for walls in interiors

1 Like

Hi ARoShk !

I’m not sure exactly about the method you used to have multiple materials on the same object in Rhino.

Can you send us a simple mesh with a few materials on it ?

It might have been a workflow we did not cover in the the Rhino plugin.

Cheers,
Antoine

2 Likes

Hello Antolne and Thanks for your response!

there is only one method to add multiple material to the same obj in rhino. its not a obvious feature i think it was added in rhino 6 after many user asking for it for a long time its not very robust but it gets the job done and it works only on nurbs surfaces and not meshes.

it works by first you selecting a face of obj like a cube in sub-Object mode (selecting while pressing Ctrl+Shift) then in material panel select a material and right click on it and select “Assign to Objects” for this to work you need to first assign a material to the whole obj and add the sub-obj materials after it. if you dont do this it would still works but rhino will automatically create and add a white material to your obj.

in the sample i first add the red material to the cube then select one of the faces and added the blue material
Sub-Object Material Test.3dm (60.4 KB)

1 Like

Perfect thanks for the file !

Are you by chance using the NURBS mesh import option when importing the mesh in Unreal ?

This will not keep the multimaterial on your mesh… Try changing to the “Import Rhino Meshes and UVs” option instead.

Alternatively, we also have a Datasmith Plugin that will give the best result.
See : Using Datasmith with Rhino | Unreal Engine 4.27 Documentation

Hope this helped ! :slight_smile:

Cheers
Antoine

2 Likes

thank u very much Antoine

the problem was neglect on my part
i wasnt opening the 3dm files directly inside unreal (i didnt know you could do that :smiley:)
i was useing direct link but the problem was that i was still useing UE5 preview instead of version 1 and also my rhino was outdated after updating all of them everything is working greatly.

Hah !

As a rule of thumb, each new release of the engine (even small hotfixes), do update both UE and the Datasmith plugin. :slight_smile:

Glad the issue was fixed ! Enjoy Rhino in UE5 !

Cheers,
Antoine

1 Like