Datasmith live link 3dsmax cache problem

Summary

Live Link connection breaks after clearing the %TEMP% folder

Hello everyone,

I’m having a serious issue with the 3ds Max to Unreal Engine Live Link workflow.

After connecting a project created in 3ds Max to Unreal Engine using Live Link, everything works normally. However, whenever I clean or delete the contents of my %TEMP% folder, the Live Link connection breaks.

After that, I’m unable to re-establish the connection, no matter what I try. The only solution I’ve found so far is to reset the project and start the entire setup again from scratch.

Is there a way to prevent the Live Link connection from depending on files stored in the %TEMP% folder, or a way to properly restore the connection after the temporary files have been deleted?

Has anyone experienced the same issue or found a reliable solution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

What Type of Bug are you experiencing?

Virtual Production

Steps to Reproduce

Live Link connection breaks after clearing the %TEMP% folder

Hello everyone,

I’m having a serious issue with the 3ds Max to Unreal Engine Live Link workflow.

After connecting a project created in 3ds Max to Unreal Engine using Live Link, everything works normally. However, whenever I clean or delete the contents of my %TEMP% folder, the Live Link connection breaks.

After that, I’m unable to re-establish the connection, no matter what I try. The only solution I’ve found so far is to reset the project and start the entire setup again from scratch.

Is there a way to prevent the Live Link connection from depending on files stored in the %TEMP% folder, or a way to properly restore the connection after the temporary files have been deleted?

Has anyone experienced the same issue or found a reliable solution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Expected Result

Live Link connection breaks after clearing the %TEMP% folder

Hello everyone,

I’m having a serious issue with the 3ds Max to Unreal Engine Live Link workflow.

After connecting a project created in 3ds Max to Unreal Engine using Live Link, everything works normally. However, whenever I clean or delete the contents of my %TEMP% folder, the Live Link connection breaks.

After that, I’m unable to re-establish the connection, no matter what I try. The only solution I’ve found so far is to reset the project and start the entire setup again from scratch.

Is there a way to prevent the Live Link connection from depending on files stored in the %TEMP% folder, or a way to properly restore the connection after the temporary files have been deleted?

Has anyone experienced the same issue or found a reliable solution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Observed Result

Live Link connection breaks after clearing the %TEMP% folder

Hello everyone,

I’m having a serious issue with the 3ds Max to Unreal Engine Live Link workflow.

After connecting a project created in 3ds Max to Unreal Engine using Live Link, everything works normally. However, whenever I clean or delete the contents of my %TEMP% folder, the Live Link connection breaks.

After that, I’m unable to re-establish the connection, no matter what I try. The only solution I’ve found so far is to reset the project and start the entire setup again from scratch.

Is there a way to prevent the Live Link connection from depending on files stored in the %TEMP% folder, or a way to properly restore the connection after the temporary files have been deleted?

Has anyone experienced the same issue or found a reliable solution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Affects Versions

5.7

Platform(s)

Windows