Datasmith Feature Requests

Hi, this is not only for the Unreal Studio but for the Unreal engine itself. I would like a “Build All maps lightning” option so I don’t have to manually change level to build the lightning of each level, thank you!

Not sure if this is the right area…(mods please add to the right topic if not)
As a music video director (indie) I always wanted to use a video game engine to cut down on render for basic previews so i moved over to unreal.
Coming from a AE background i never liked the nodes used in alot of software so i stuck with AE.
Last night i tried to do a simple task of adding some green screen footage to a Plane object and OMG what a time sync!!! By the time i made the movies folder, imported the footage, added a media player, added a plane, went inside the plane texture fixed alot of stuff, then had to make my own nodes (not sure how the blue print system works yet) on top of all that i then had to use alot of nodes to try and key out the footage. (Even tho i did a key in AE i didnt get around to trying just the alpha without the green screen) It was a process that really bummed me out on using the engine to do ( simple 3d background setup, add my green screen footage, and play around with moving the camera and such…Keep in mind this is not trying to fix the footage to match the 3d models or add effects…In theory What i think should take less time to simply add green screen to a texture and set the texture transparent then place in the 3d world, took me hours of tutorial searching and not enough time to look up how to even blend it in. ) This is something thats just blowing my mind how much of a time sync basic and what should be easy things to do seem to take a huuuuuge amount of time, as well as alot of nodes to do something simple. Keep in mind im no game dev, or really work in the high end side of music videos…BUUUTTTT what i am is a customer who would buy alot of stuff off the unreal store based on small needs i have to do a music video ie buying models, backgrounds, etc… My reason for this post is to remind the DEVs that even us no tech people who only need to use the engine in a limited way compared to a full dev team or tech person still has value… I dont want to know what the gas is made from in my car…Only that i need to open the tank and put gas in…I dont want to know about the engine of my car, I just want it to start when i drive. So my point is as you make this tool keep in mind the ease of use factor and the fact that some of us dont plan to dig too deep in the engine. I hate nodes and all the wires its alot…So i dont always need to see them to do basic things… The fact i have to make a movies folder, and go through all those steps just to do a basic thing like get my footage on a time line almost turns me off for the engine. I hope the Devs see value in what im trying to say. And keep in mind as more new people from different markets shift over to the engine we need less time sync and more out of the box function. I plan on looking up tutorials tonight but most are not using 4.22 so even in the learn section it doesn’t do a good job of introducing me to the program. Most tutorials feel like im listening to a robot or a over techy self unaware person who is in a mono tone putting me to sleep. Im in no way trying to talk down on the Devs or the engine Im only trying to be as open as i can and express as a newer user what i felt from the gate just opening up the program and trying to test out basic things. I do hope to get feedback as well as be apart of the community in the unreal studio section of the engine. Sidenote: Even if i wanted to do something as simple as “try” to cut a music video using only video files feels like its a time sync…Now someone might ask why do it in unreal? Because dont we all want realtime editing no preview buffer, no change one thing and now it re renders again…My goal with unreal is to start doing basic 3d backgrounds with green screen footage…Move my way into adding effects, import my on 3d or photo scanned models into the engine to use in my music videos…I would love to move away from AE and spend that monthly fee with Unreal Studio when its out of beta. Please be nice and dont flame me for trying to be open and honest. I would love to join a discord of other people who are also trying to do what im doing as well as share help to others like me. Thank you for letting me be apart of the beta i hope to see this product grow into a platform i can grow with!!! @Romeo615videos

Adding in my post on C# support as adding this to the engine would be beneficial for industries that have cross application libraries in C# and want to make best use of them. Plus it would be a nice way to put out a hand to Unity devs in general who would like to transition to UE4.

The Rhino/Grasshopper implementation is very elegant and does a lot of what we in Architecture want. Implementing this in a blueprint node would be amazing.
https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/unreal-studio/1601950-c-scripting-support

I should have also mentioned some form of bi-directionality with datasmith data would be really interesting, so for instance you could save out modified datasmith data and re-import it back into Revit where new instances of families if they have been duplicated would be created or new geometry instantiated as new family.

Just to point you all towards USharp that’s being actively developed. Would be amazing if this was able to be supported or scaled up by Epic as a way to let users access Unreal functionality via C#. Support for Datasmith functions would be very welcome.

I want to call additional original process with Open and Close of “SComboBox”.
but “OnMenuOpenChanged()” function not haved delegate.
Could you add a delegate in a future update?

-Functionality enhancements:

1. The option to NOT generate lightmap UV’s on import (especially with messy large scenes or high poly models that will only use dynamic lighting anyways)
  2. Option to define a default master material on import that Studio will use to set up instances from (see how Quixel did this for Megascans)
  3. ‘Architectural’ versions of LOD presets and the option to define Automatic LOD generation on import (invaluable for scenes with many props)
  4. ‘Architectural’ Camera with proper Perspective correction controls (essential for Arch-Viz)
  5. Import ‘replace asset for’ Check (or do it on export) where if a scene contains objects with identical triangle/vertex count, it’s possible to define 1 master, and the rest instances of that mesh (right now it will just create 200 chair meshes if those meshes have different names and/or materials, which might already occur when you do a dirty merge inside your source-app and lack time to clean things up.

-Visual fidelity enhancements:

1. Screenspace Bevels/Round edges
  2. Screenspace procedural dirt/cavity

Please check this out (ignore the weird voice but the pronunciation of certain terms is quite funny)Procedural Texturing - UNIGINE 2 Engine Essentials - YouTube
Lumion has this. Unigine has this. All offline renderers have it. Why? Cause -with a few clicks- it makes your models look amazing xD

We know Epic has a couple of ultra talented shader guru’s.
Yes they are of course extremely busy but maybe we can crowdfund them a puppy if this would become reality? :rolleyes:

Please Filter UV Map creation. In the current cad importer decals in Solidworks are not being imported and the uv maps are being overwritten.

First off I wanted to say great job on the progress thus far with Revit and UE interop. Long time coming and it is finally here. Attending Unreal academy in Raleigh and super excited.

Autodesk recently added PBR support for materials in 2019. They have included 4 base materials from which all materials should be created. Its your typical PBR set:
Opaque
Transparent
Metal
Layered
These can be found under the asset browser under Misc.

I just recently converted our company materials library to reflect these new additions only to find these import into Unreal as Unsupported. Perhaps the Unreal team could modify Datasmith to work with these new materials templates? I was trying to determine what Datasmith didn’t like about the new materials; a specific map maybe or a setting but no matter what i change they always import as unsupported.

Please look into this… Greatly appreciated.

Here is a screenshot from the Appearance Library (new PBR Materials)

Thanks

Great to see more features being added to Unreal Studio.

I can not stress this enough. I am currently visualizing high poly vehicle model which originated from CAD. Everything will be dynamic, no baked lighting. It’s about 10M polygons total with lots of tiny pieces. Datasmith wastes majority of import time creating lightmass UVs on this ridicuously complex model just for them to never be used.

This is correct. The revit api gives us new hook to read that data but its something we have to add in our exporter. That is why you don’t see them exported at all: our exporter is currently ‘blind’ on it and we have to write extra code to support them.

Yes we are working on that problem

Please update the heightmap import system!

It seems to use 16-bit numbers (65535 values) but GIS data these days is 32-bit (or even 64-bit) precision. 16 bit values just don’t cut it with LiDAR, in my case with 2cm vertical resolution and elevation differences greater than 1200m, this word size is overflown. I can hack-down the quality of the DEM/DSM for Unreal, but that doesn’t seem right given the old Assetto Corsa engine handled the LiDAR, but it was represented as a TIN (the Landscape system is raster-only) and used 32b vertex values (TINs are essential for memory management with 32b values, rasters are not an option, and I find it weird that Unreal has this mipmap approach for raster terrain, because it means unnecessarily storing redundant vertex data).

Must admit I’m new to developing with this engine, but Unreal would benefit from linking into GDAL or something so that GeoTIFFs can be imported directly. I looked at a plugin called terraformpro but this type of functionality is free in blender and how does it even get around Unreal’s internal landscape representation values being 16 bit?

Hello, please upgrade the heightmap import system!

It seems to use 16-bit numbers (65535 values) but GIS data these days is 32-bit (or even 64-bit) precision. 16 bit values just don’t cut it with LiDAR, in my case with 2cm vertical resolution and elevation differences greater than 1200m, this word size is overflown. (FWIW I can import a TIN/mesh no problem, was just hoping to use the landscape system, but not if it means using rasters full of redundant vertex data… at a fraction of the vertical resolution…)

Must admit I’m new to developing with this engine, but Unreal would benefit from linking to GDAL or something so that GeoTIFFs can be imported directly! I found a plugin called terraformpro but how does it get around Unreal’s landscape system’s internal values being 16 bit?

Hi - really think Enterprise is heading in an interesting direction, particularly with Twinmotion and where UE4 is heading with RTX integration. Looking forward to hearing about your latest roadmaps soon on both fronts.

We’ve started using Mixed Reality as the Reverb is a great headset from a resolution perspective so very much up our street and with the new Vive Pro as well, we are wanting to make sure everything runs off the same base code rather than building for various headset platforms. Unreal has been great for Oculus and Vive for this however Mixed Reality seems lacking behind. We’ve noticed:

• Mixed Reality appears integrated in the VR template but not the Enterprise networked multi-user template. It’s a great template for lots of use cases so a Mixed Reality update would be most appreciated.
  • Twinmotion doesn’t appear to be supporting VR as the icon is greyed out and the doesn’t appear to be any online support any more after the acquisition. We’d love to get this up and running with Mixed Reality too (google cached links even suggest that this is possible).

Any updates on these fronts would be most appreciated!

(plus that c# integration we’re after! :p)

thanks david, i sent the comment to our team handling the templates and the twin motion team!

Awesome. Thanks very much - most appreciated

Looking into the Datasmith Rhino import, is there any way of exposing this as a runtime function? We would like to be able to directly import Rhino geometry into a built project at runtime. Exposing this functionality would avoid having to do workarounds using OBJ exports/imports with 3rd party extensions (such as ASSIMP).

I’m sure product viewer type apps would really appreciate this kind of functionality.

There are three things which would really be neat in UE:

1.) Texture Arrays would improve the efficiency in some use cases dramatically, since one could use indices to access textures rather than calculate the correct UVs for texture atlasses (especially in some techniques, which require you to use a “random” placing of textures within the atlass in order to avoid filtering issues)

2.) Dynamic terrain generation

3.) LOD creation / other optimization features at game runtime (even with a kind of “Loading Screen” to appear and stall the game until the process is done this would benefit some use cases greatly)