Datasmith Feature Requests

right now the workflow is with pak files. i can send you a small example if you want to explore this

we’re hoping to provide runtime access of datasmith, it’s something we’re researching. no firm dates in mind yet.

Thanks - would be very interesting to see an example and how straightforward it would be to pipeline.

Looking into this more - it all depends on whether there is a focus on Open VR which would cover more hardware of API specific development, eg Mixed Reality. For example you can run Windows Mixed Reality hardware using Open VR via Steam rather than Mixed Reality only - both are supported in Unreal but don’t have parity. I assume that’s something the VR team are looking into. Would be great to have a unifying layer when creating applications irrespective of hardware type in Unreal (and therefore subsequently Twinmotion)

Not necessarily just an Unreal Studio feature, but native two point perspective would certainly be appreciated.

That would be a great feature to add as ArcViz uses that mode of projection a lot. It does have it’s limitations in realtime but would be very helpful to have.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Studio/Datasmith/HowTo/Defeaturing/index.html

Why isn’t defeaturing a Datasmith import option?

I don’t want to create a script to do this. It’s simple enough that it should just be an entry below “normal tolerance” which says “defeature radius”.

Hello, i just saw the 4.23 preview and the new HDRI Backdrop sound amazing!
Another couple of request for me are:

-Clipping plane and volume (similar to this one https://youtu.be/CkEueafOvFg, but based on tag or property.) So you can active this function for some selected objects without modify material for each of them

-Ask on import for Material whit the same name wich one to use. So if you import several datasmith files you can keep the same material for everyone instead of replace them all.

-Mobile: be able to read and play video from SDcard or memory on smartphone to reduce the .obb files size and bypass the 4GB limits.

This is a small thing, but every single time I launch Unreal Editor I wish for it, so here goes…
When the Editor is loading the progress percent display algorithm gets stuck at ~95% and I have no idea if it’s crashed or running. (both are likely as I have a 4 year old machine with 16GB of ram)
I know that not everything that is happening is a file being loaded, I’m sure there’s caching, sorting, and database mgt, etc… so could you please make the progress meter reflect, more accurately, what Unreal Editor is doing while I wait?
Thanks, btw I’ve been watching you guys since the 90s. You’re doing a great job. I like the way you guys operate. Thanks for the cool stuff.

Both standard Unreal Engine and so Unreal Engine Studio would need a native optimized high quality and fast Voxels system. That would allow creating huge destructible landscapes with voxels and many more features.

Hello. I work with architectural illustrations and have tried to use Unreal since 4.18, but I have not been able to make any deliveries from it. To get any work in my area, I can use maximum two days per still image, and Unreal has been to much to handle in such short time. So I’m hoping for good integration and a quality boost for Twinmotion, which potentially can get me to the finish line faster.

However, typical for my work is the fact that the models change right up to the deadline, and the go-to-another-software-and-fix-it-and-import-again-workflow is not cutting it for me.
I want a live link to a modeller and hope there is possibilities to maybe integrate Blender 101 in the future.
Another thing is scattering/parametric assembly. It is easy to get addicted to iTooSoftwares capabilities, but it should be absolutely doable to recreate most of this functionality with Blueprints. (If you are a genious coder.)
The third thing is a physical sky model to interact with- and make the glorious new, ray traced sun light more realistic.

That’s it. A modeler, advanced scattering/assembly and physical sky. For both Studio and TwinMotion. Not much, eh?

Please have “re-import with new file” ignore the old file.

Right now, if the old file was moved or renamed for some reason, “re-import with new file” will fail.

We’re on it, thanks for reporting ! :slight_smile:

Export fbx with base colors showing in the explorer.

I tried C4D Datasmith.
It is great, but I have found some problems with material conversion. Though I don’t know if they are mistakes or intended specifications, I hope they will be corrected as follows.

I attached the c4d file.

(a) The Specular strength of C4D should simply be ignored, and the Specular of UE4 should remain at the default value.

Currently, Specular Strength of C4D is converted as Specular of UE4.
C4D’s Specular Strength is a fake Specular brightness that is only relevant for highlights produced by light objects. For this reason, in photorealistic workflows it may be set to 0 to eliminate fake specular.
On the other hand, Specular of UE4 is for fine-tuning the entire brightness of Reflection in non-Metallic material. If the value is set to 0, Reflection itself disappears.
Considering these things together, they are completely different and should not be linked.
It is said that there is not much need to change the Specular value of UE4 from the default of 0.5. Therefore, I think that the specular strength value of C4D should be ignored and the specular value of UE4 should be left at the default.

(b) For Metallic materials, the value of Metallic Amount should always be 1.

Currently, Metallic Amount is set to 0.5. There is no Metallic parameter in C4D, and a value of 0.5 is meaningless.
When imported into UE4, the value of Metallic should always be 1 for Metallic materials and always 0 for non-metallic materials.

(c) In Normal Map, Texture’s sRGB flag should be off.

Currently, the Normal Map Texture is not distinguished from other Textures, and the sRGB flag is turned on. As with the general import procedure, the Normal Map should have the sRGB flag off.

anyone use tyflow to ue4?

look like this?

I’d love to see this example!

You mean something like this?

@hirotsu FYI, I logged those C4D issues and they seem like easy fixes from our end. Should be able to get them in the next hotfix. Thanks for the feedback!

Dear Epic Games,

Please add support for Blender 2.81 with native support for .blend file, I’m envious of the quality of support for C4D file.

Having the ability to set the pivot of a mesh in the staticmesh editor would be awesome, simple things like center pivot to actor bounds, or move pivot to the bottom/center of a mesh would be amazing, especially when merging objects.