Datasmith exporter 5.3 causes crash 3DSMax 2024

Correct, my Max installation is in the default folder mentioned.
This is my last log
UnrealDatasmithExporter.log (7.5 KB)

Good morning, I searched on my drive c: programdata and the Epic Games folder is empty

@UE_FlavienP
Any of this paths does not exist

Epic Games Store create this registry value after installation of Unreal Engine.
You can use it for determine installed version of engine and path to it.

Or promt user for path manually on installation step.

In that case, i had this in Binaries folder:

im also having 3ds max (2024, 2023 and 2021) crashing on opening after installing new version of datasmith for UE5.3, as soon as i unistall it max opens without problems

We are working on a fix, no ETA yet.

6 Likes

I have the same problem, I’ve been trying to fix it for days, but it’s not happening. I really got on my nerves.

1 Like

I have the same problem and know of others with it too. Clean 3ds max 2024 on windows 10/11. after Datasmith install max wont open even an empty scene. Only uninstalling datasmith helps. Would realy like to se a fix for this asap.

I’m also having issues, with 5.3 on Max 2023. When I launch I get this:

XAML Parse Error

Error parsing Xaml file: ‘Failed to create a ‘AlternateImage’ from the text ‘Icons/Datasmith/DatasmithAutoSyncIconOff32.png’.’ Line number ‘32’ and line position ‘11’.

OK

Then I get this:

Error Loading Ribbon Extension

There was an error loading Ribbon extension file:
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2023\en-US\UI\Ribbon\Extensions\DatasmithUI.xaml
System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException: ‘Failed to create a ‘AlternateImage’ from the text ‘Icons/Datasmith/DatasmithAutoSyncIconOff32.png’.’ Line number ‘32’ and line position ‘11’. —> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file ‘C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2023\UI_LN\Resources\Dark\Icons\Datasmith\DatasmithAutoSyncIconOff32.png’.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)

at System.IO.FileStream…ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)

at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder.SetupDecoderFromUriOrStream(Uri uri, Stream stream, BitmapCacheOption cacheOption, Guid& clsId, Boolean& isOriginalWritable, Stream& uriStream, UnmanagedMemoryStream& unmanagedMemoryStream, SafeFileHandle& safeFilehandle)

at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder.CreateFromUriOrStream(Uri baseUri, Uri uri, Stream stream, BitmapCreateOptions createOptions, BitmapCacheOption cacheOption, RequestCachePolicy uriCachePolicy, Boolean insertInDecoderCache)

at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapFrame.CreateFromUriOrStream(Uri baseUri, Uri uri, Stream stream, BitmapCreateOptions createOptions, BitmapCacheOption cacheOption, RequestCachePolicy uriCachePolicy)

at System.Windows.Media.ImageSourceConverter.ConvertFrom(ITypeDescriptorContext context, CultureInfo culture, Object value)

at MS.Internal.Xaml.Runtime.ClrObjectRuntime.CreateObjectWithTypeConverter(ServiceProviderContext serviceContext, XamlValueConverter`1 ts, Object value)

at System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriter.Logic_CreateFromValue(ObjectWriterContext ctx, XamlValueConverter`1 typeConverter, Object value, XamlMember property, String targetName, IAddLineInfo lineInfo)

— End of inner exception stack trace —

at WPFCustomControls.XamlBuilder.ReadXamlFile(String aFilePath, String baseUriPath)

at WPFCustomControls.MaxRibbonControl.ProcessXamlExtensionFile(String filePath)

OK

First time I only got the first error and Max asked me to reset my UI. I didn’t want to so I choose no. But there’s no Datasmith export. I can see that the plugin was loaded. I restarted Max. I got the second error as well, and my UI is now ■■■■■■.

So I tried on my other workstation and there it just crashes. Can I use an older datasmith exporter version in the meantime? Or did anyone actually get this to work?

The current status is:

• we are aware of the issue: crash of many Max versions once datasmith exporter 5.3 installed.
  • for some people/on some installation, it will not crash: this is why our testers did not notice the crash.
  • our first go at fixing it was incomplete and we need more time to work on it.

If you have an earlier version than Max 2024 then you should stick to the 5.2 version of the Datasmith Exporter.
If you are stuck with Max 2024, there is no official fix at the moment. You could try exporting using USD or FBX. If you want to try your luck, a user mentioned a work around here 3ds max 2024? - #29 by deaconfrost47

5 Likes

Could this be related to having Unreal Engine and Max installed on two separate drives?

No. I checked both variants with installations.

1 Like

Hello everyone. This method helped me. Opening the file DatasmithPostStartUp.ms using Notepad++.
important! Notepad++ is run as an administrator.
Download Notepad++ here: Downloads | Notepad++

File DatasmithPostStartUp.ms located here: C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\UnrealDatasmithMax\UI

If the ProgramData folder is not displayed, then do the following:

1. Open File Explorer on the taskbar.
  2. Select the View > Show > Hidden elements.

Next, in the file itself, we find the line Datasmith_OnLoad true UnrealEnginePath and change true to false, as a result, the line should look like this: Datasmith_OnLoad false UnrealEnginePath, save.

2 Likes

What does this actually do? Does it disable some functionality in the Datasmith plugin? If that is the case, I’d rather wait for an official fix.

+1 I have the same
3d max 2023 closes at startup
when removing the plugin, the 3d max works

P.S. UnrealDatasmithMaxExporter_5_2_1.msi - work!

attention. the export button is located on the panel Ribbon - tab Datasmith
in “save as” not

1 Like

Had the same issue with the Datasmith 5.3 and 3ds max 2024. I changed Regional Format from Windows settings to English (United States) and got it working.

4 Likes

Can confirm, this also worked for me.

2 Likes

Changing the regional format to English (United States) worked here too, including DIRECT LINK

3dsmax 2024, unreal 5.3, with several plugins installed

1 Like