Dataprep - Datasmith Import issue: Cannot find Static Mesh for Static mesh Actor

Hello! We are using the new 4.27 SolidWorks datasmith exporter to generate a datasmith file to be used with Dataprep to import a very large SolidWorks file (we need to use dataprep, so importing the SLDASM files directly to the engine is not an option). Each time I attempt to import to dataprep, I get errors on every single mesh:

Cannot find Static Mesh [name-of-mesh] for Static Mesh Actor.

The hierarchy is all there but all the static meshes are empty, nothing is actually imported.

I know the SolidWorks datasmith exporter is still brand new and still experimental, but does anyone have any clues or suggestions to this? I’ve found multiple similar answerhub posts with no answers/solutions. Thanks!!

EDIT: One possible cause seems to be special characters in the part names, like tilde ~, comma, etc. Still investigating.

Hey, did you ever find a solution to this issue?

Did you try with latest version of the solidworks exporter? And UE?
We did a few major cleaning and stabilisation on the solidworks exporter in the past year.

What behaviour do you observe?

Hello, I have not used Solidwork before, but I had a similar problem with Max Datasmith and this solution worked for me. I don’t know if the same solution will work in SolidWorks Datasmith, but if you wish, have a look at this link

I’m sorry for my bad english. I hope it was understandable and useful.

Hi @uJelleh did you ever get this issue resolved? I am having the same issue with a Datasmith file exported from Revit. At first I thought it might be due to file name length moving the Datasmith file and corresponding _Assets folder to a root folder on one of my drives but I am still getting the same errors when importing into UE4.27.2.

same problem here, I use 3DsMax2018 and Sketch-Up Pro 2023 even Rhino 7, but UE4 can’t import Datasmith File produced by these Software

Are you using the appropriate version of the exporters? If you are using an old version of UE such as 4.27 you should make sure to be using a datasmith exporter versions that are compatible with UE 4.27.

Same me, i use sketchup pro 2023 and unreal engine 5
so i import the project from datalink or file udatasmith, and i suppose there’s a problem when the file “_assets” is created, because when you export the file .udatasmith in the guide official there’s written should be in the same location a foleder with the name asset and inside the assets… but the only assets i have are in the format that sketchup use… so i don’t know to solve it… (i suppose is this the problem)

i tried also with sketchup 2021

Solved, i needed to reinstall the last version, maybe after several months pause, just created bugs