Darker Nodes - Modern theme for the Unreal Editor

Hey everyone!

I’m working on a plugin called Darker Nodes to make the Unreal Editor more modern and easier to read at. I felt that it has too much shadow, gradient, gloss, 3D icons, and I didn’t like much the inverted colored checkboxes and textfields. So I made a flat design to reduce the mental load of seeing all these different elements.

>> Link to the Marketplace <<](Darker Nodes in Code Plugins - UE Marketplace)
Getting started | FAQ | Suggestions/bugs

There are different amounts of luminosity:

• Dark which is kinda like the default style
  • Darker which is a bit darker (that’s my favorite)
  • Darkest which is basically black

And for each luminosity level, there are some temperature variation:

• Normal, which is plain grey
  • Warm, which is a bit orangish
  • Cool, which is a bit blueish

I also changed a bunch of icons that I made for this plugin.

WARNING: You’ll notice that a few icons or text are black on a dark background. I actually can’t do anything about these, as Epic has hard-coded their black color, and I don’t think people want to recompile the whole engine at each new release ^^’…

WARNING: The plugin to have 45° angles wire on blueprints is actually my other plugin: Electronic Nodes. It won’t be included, I just happen to have it activated while I took the screen.

Hope you’ll like it! If you have any suggestion or ideas, do not hesitate :slight_smile:

Note: it’s still a WIP, it’s just that I need the forum link to add it in the description of the plugin.

I use Electronic Nodes actively, so, probably I will lake your taste on interface as well :slight_smile: We’ll see.

Ahah, I hope :smiley: ! Just submitted it to approval btw \o/ (and I updated the screenshots)

Seems as good as Electronic nodes which i own :slight_smile:

Just to mention the screenshots here do not allow a full screen display… We’re not able to see your actual job

As a question :
• Do you plan to add more theme variations / allow easy customization of your theme framework ?

As a suggestion :
• Would be cool to be able to disable the **blueprint editor background grid **(as in the UE4Editor Customize plugin)

@anonymous_user_5f097f5c Thank you :D! Here’s a full size screenshot for closer details: https://i.imgur.com/gCIK9iU.png

Yes, I’ll probably add more colors themes and “full custom option” where the user can choose his own colors. I might also add another icon set.
But that’ll depend on what people want and what feedback I get.

Well, I just sent the v1 for approval without it… But that’s a fairly easy to add feature, so very probably in next version (though it’s a feature already available in the editor settings)

Ah i didn’t know it was already available in the settings i just unchecked it ! Thanks

Man i just saw your screenshot and i just hope it won’t be too expensive for me because i want to try it :slight_smile: lol

It seems to mix really well with the other plugin as a visual and ergonomic overall upgrade of the editor well done!

Just one last thing : just because my previous suggestion was really too easy for you what about ability to change the fonts ? Maybe as you did with themes : predefined / configured sets of fonts

@SUPRFU Ahah thank you really much!

Well, I think the price will be $8 for the first few days, and then up to 10$. (I admit I’m always kinda bad at fixing prices… wdyt of it?)

So, it’s actually possible to modify the font, but I’m not sure I’m allowed to package fonts (even open sourced one) to a selling product. I’ll do some research on that.
Though, it should be possible for the user to enter its own fonts. Or maybe scan the already installed fonts but that might be a bit tricky.

Anyway thank you very much for the all the ideas :D!

I agree with SUPRFU, I didn’t know grid lines was editiable, I suggest adding it to your plugin anyways just so all the theme like settings are in the same place, it’d be easy to just make 1 trip and go.

Would it be a possibility to change the icons on the toolbars? The bright light blue doesn’t really fit the theme IMO, I’d download the icons re-color them darker just so they looked more in place

Yes, will do that for the next version!

You mean the old UE4 icons? Yes it’s my plan, but I wanted to go gradually as finding the icon, find where to replace them in the code and actually design them is a reaaaally long process. So the next version will have a lot more replaced icons.

Darker Nodes is now live and available in the marketplace :smiley: !

Awesome theme.
As I’m currently exploring all the settings, I found out, that the 11 small toolbar icons are not supported for now.
Any idea when they will be supported? :slight_smile:

@pDunkl Probably next update, I feel like a lot of people use the small icons ^^’

Just bought the plug-in, unfortunately, it’s visually broken on my engine (using a default installation of 4.26.0) reinstalled it (the plug-in), reinstalled the engine, checked on a different project (without using any additional plug-ins). It’s still broken.

Been waiting for such a plug-in for a long time, so I’m eagerly awaiting a possible solution or theoretical reason on why this problem appears. :wink:

@Lionard Wow, was not expecting this… Seems like it can’t find the images of the theme. I’m really sorry for this, but it shouldn’t be too difficult to solve it.

• What OS are you using?
  • Do you use C++ in your project?
  • What happens if you copy/paste the plugin directly under the plugin folder of your project? (if you don’t know how to do that, I’ll explain it step by step)
  • Can you find and open the images in UE_4.26\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace\DarkerNodes\Resources\Theme ?
  • Could you test some C++ code? If yes, could you log this string?

#include “Interfaces/IPluginManager.h”
IPluginManager::Get().FindPlugin(TEXT(“DarkerNodes”))->GetBaseDir()

EDIT: Also, do you have a really long path to your project? Or some special characters in the path?

• What OS are you using?

/// Windows 10

• Do you use C++ in your project?

/// No C++, pure blueprint.

• What happens if you copy/paste the plugin directly under the plugin folder of your project? (if you don’t know how to do that, I’ll explain it step by step)

/// Same problem even after manual copy.

• Can you find and open the images in UE_4.26\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace\DarkerNodes\Resources\Theme ?

/// Yes I can, all the graphics seem to be in the correct place.

• Could you test some C++ code? If yes, could you log this string?

#include “Interfaces/IPluginManager.h”
IPluginManager::Get().FindPlugin(TEXT(“DarkerNodes”))->GetBaseDir()

/// My knowledge in C++ is still limited, I don’t know the location where these lines should be implemented.

EDIT: Also, do you have a really long path to your project? Or some special characters in the path?

/// Path to the project is very short, and no special characters in the name or the path.

Also, don’t worry I understand that usually, the first releases tend to have problems. I’m sure we will figure this out, in no time. :wink:

Edit:: /// After manual copy, some of the graphics work (about 10%) but the rest is still broken, a specially in the blueprint section.

Hey, Im having the same problem as **Lionard. **On mine it seems most of the images that are downloaded come in as White boxes. Any idea on a fix?

@Lionard Hum, that’s really weird… Do you have some Warnings in the output log when you launch your project? Do you have the same problem if you create a blank project in 4.26d

I’m trying to reproduce this as much as I can. Also, what do you mean when you said “After manual copy, some of the graphics work (about 10%)”?
[HR][/HR]

That’s super cool of you, hope we’ll sort it out before the end of the day :)!
[HR][/HR]
@EternalSt0rm You say that the source images are white boxes? Or the editor display white boxes?

The source images should be “normal” images, you can check it here for example: UE_4.26\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace\DarkerNodes\Resources\Theme\Elements\Button\Orange
The fact that the editor display white boxes means that it can’t find the images, not that the images are actually white boxes.

Again, I’m really sorry for this and hope to sort it out as fast as I can!

@Herobrine20XX No warnings at all, in the output log.
What I meant is that when moving the plug-in from the marketplace folder to one folder above directly in the plugins folder, some of the graphics appeared to work, but only very few of them.

Rather than white boxes, it started to show black bars (as it should) but only in those locations, the rest of the graphic and icons, appear as white.

@Lionard Ok, so I think it’s very likely it has to do with the windows pathname max length of 256 char. I have a few ideas on how to solve that.

@Herobrine20XX well I have a very short path to the engine, and even shorter to the project.

E:\Engine\UE_4.26\Engine\Plugins