Dark shadows around camera in UE5

Not sure what triggered this, I converted my project and set up Lumen to see what it would look like, After restarting I seen this circle on any part of the landscape within a specific proximity too my camera. If I move away from it the circle gets smaller and then goes away. After turning Lumen back off the Shadow remains.

1 Like

I had the same issue… r.Raytracing.Shadows.EnableTwoSidedGeometry 0
that worked.

cheers

1 Like

Hi,
I have the same problem and the - r.Raytracing.Shadows.EnableTwoSidedGeometry 0 - command, didn’t solve it. :frowning:

If your using UE 5.0 then it could possibly be caused by a graphical bug or corruption in some of the project files. I would try deleting the saved folder or restarting the project…if neither of those work then you may want to open up a new save and share some pictures.

I’ve had several issues in 5.0 where Unreal Corrupted my files…in fact one of my projects keeps having issues with corrupt config files and I have to keep deleting the “Saved” folder to fix it…but then it comes back later. I believe it’s tied somehow to MetaSound because it was only when I started using MetaSound that it started doing it. (In this case the editor window is freezing and doesn’t update in real-time even with real-time enabled)

I had this problem with this project in UE 5.0.3. Now I am on UE 5.1.0. I opened a copy.
Same issue in both versions of UE. I get the shadow when I’m turning away from the sun, but it disappears when I turn toward the sun.

There has to be a plausible explanation for this…do you have multiple light sources in your scene? Even if you’re under the impression that they are on separate Data Layers and that you’re turning one off you may actually not be doing that.

To add to this if that’s not the case then you should try removing your light source saving and reloading the map and then putting it back in. You should be able to Copy it and then paste it back in but sometimes this will be cleared when you reload the level so you may want to try pasting it in another project or on another map first.

Also, you could try deleting HLODs and rebuilding them or temporarily removing or moving folders like Intermediate/Saved/DerivedDataCache/Build/Config/Binaries one by one to see if moving/renaming any of those will fix the issue. You really haven’t given anyone much to go on other than the fix that worked for me didn’t work for you.

On A last note, have you tried recreating your lighting altogether from scratch on the same map?

I delete the fog the camera shadow disappears.

Hello! You need to activate “Cast Shadows from Cinematic objects only” in detailes of directionalLight, I think it works…

1 Like

I’ll have to try that out if I see it again, that was probably the issue. Hard to say.

THIS MADE THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE! Thanks :+1:t6: