Dark Exponential Fog

The Exponential Height Fog is as visible as bright it is. Is there any way to make it so it darkens the view? I saw somewhere that it is done by Directional Inscattering Color but for some reason that I don’t understand, changing the color does not make any change.

You have to set both Fog Inscattering Color and Directional Inscattering Color to fully black.

When I set Fog Inscattering Color to black, there becomes no fog.
When I change Directional Inscattering Color to anything (including black) there becomes no visual change at all.

Sorry to hear that it didn’t work!
The Directional Inscattering Color only does something when you have a directional light in the level that has Atmosphere Sun Light checked. So probably you don’t have that (which is fine).

As for the fog not showing with the inscattering color set to black, There are some things you can try:

• Try increasing the Fog Density to something really high (when using the slider it goes to a maximum of 0.05, but the actual maximum is 10). I had better results with a density above 1 when using black fog
  • There is also a “Second Fog Data” with another Fog Density you can set.
  • The amount of fog is directly related to the Z-position of the Exp. height fog actor. So try moving the actor upward if you don’t have enough fog.
  • Try setting the Fog Max Opacity to 1 to allow pixels to get fully black
  • If you still don’t see fog there might be something else that’s interfering like post processing volume changing the exposure meaning the fog will appear lighter than it is
  • Some fog colour is baked in I noticed, so try rebuilding the level after changing the fog or you will have remnants of an older fog color in materials
  • I tested this with fairly default settings for a new project using Desktop / Console settings. I don’t know your setup and/or if this all works with a setup for mobile games.
1 Like

Thanks for the detailed help! I tried everything, none of them made a change, except when I set the Fog Max Opacity to higher, the black fog appeared. Of course I had to set the Fog Density to 1 as well, but that was something I had tried before. It just didn’t work alone without changing the Fog Max Opacity. Again, thank you for your support.

Increasing the density fixed the issue for me. Thanks :slight_smile: