Custom Wyvern Material not working

I’m new to modding, but I mad a beautiful custom wyvern. I brought it to the Ark Dev Kit, and I wanted to add colors etc. Anyways, I went to add the material for the wyvern, but instead, this notification popped up, “Material didn’t allow automatic setting of usage flag b.UsedWithSkeletalMesh needed to render on this component, using Default Material instead.” Any idea how to fix this? I mad the wyvern on blender, and added titano plates and made a custom tail. PLEASE! I don’t want to loose all my hard work.

Also, If this an issue with the skeleton, any ideas on how to make it work? I’m redoing it rn, and I hope that helps. But any ideas is appreciated. Thx

you need to set the flag b.UsedWithSkeletalMesh in the material

Ok! But where do I find that? I read through that, (which was helpful), but i can’t figure out what even is wrong with my wyvern. I uploaded it, but it always has error messages. Asking about things, and I have a tutorial right next to me. Do I start over? Or is there something I need to do in exporting/ importing that I’m doing wrong? I am trying to use an edited normal fire wyvern skin, could that be the issue?

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2

I don’t know if you can see this well, but I have a normal wyvern, and mine. The normal one has more LOD’s and fewer elements, and the colors show up. Mine has some of the colors added in (not all bc they aren’t there). Am I doing something wrong?

in the material, with no nodes selected, it will be in the left hand side in details

1 Like

Could you be more specific? I have both materials pulled up (they are the same as the traditional fire wyvern, except i made them slightly darker) and i don’t see a “details” tab or place to click. I do see a long list of things under the palette menu. Sorry I don’t understand! I’ve been trying my best to look around, but tutorials and information is hard to find.

should be right there, if not go to window>details

OMGoodness you did it! Thank you so much!! I got my wyvern to have colors! Thank you!

one more thing to ask, I’m trying to add the animations, but all i get is a sphere. The tutorial next to me has a whole wyvern body, but I only had a sphere, and i don’t think that’s right. any ideas?

Hi does anyone of you know how to fix “Material didn’t allow automatic setting of usage flag bUsedWithSkeletalMesh needed to render on this component, using Default Material instead” i read this discussion but i didnt udnerstand anything bc im new to the dev kit.

Greetings @Ede_der_Adler !

We’re SO excited to welcome you to the Unreal Engine community! We see that this is your first time posting in our forums! :medal_sports:

The thread you are commenting under is almost 4 years old. I am unsure if you will get a response here. I just want to make sure you are aware of this in case you are awaiting a response soon.

I encourage you to continue trying to follow what was done in the discussion and searching for a resolution in the meantime. I was scratching my head trying to find something to add to this discussion, myself. But alas, I am also a neophyte. A wise person once said, “Ambition is the path to success. Persistence is the vehicle you arrive in.” Keep trying and never give up on finding a solution! The longer you are participating in our forums, the more you will see that persistence is a common theme amongst game devs, especially when troubleshooting a problem. :smiley:

If this is the error you are getting - follow these steps below:

1. While in your material window, unpin your nodes temporarily

2. navigate to the left side, under details

3. search for skeletal mesh

4. check the box

5. repin your nodes

6. save

7. reattempt to attach your material to your skeletal mesh

8. You should have material on your skeletal mesh now!

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

NOTE: My materials are different than what yours might be, so dont follow the nodes I use. However, the above will work if you need to attach a material to a skeletal mesh.

If you need more help, try joining the ADK discord for more help!

2 Likes

OMG tysm it worked!!! :smile:

2 Likes

thank u :))))

1 Like

I’m glad to hear that!

1 Like

I spent sooooo long trying to figure this out. Thank you for existing. I appreciate you.