curtain opacity

Hello,
I have curtain and I want to see through a little bit, here are my different approaches, each of them has its problem. Is there any solution?

-with opaque subsurface material is all ok,but I want to see through just a little bit
-masked opacity with temporalditherAA the material looks ok, for shadows I can use shadow pass switch with full color (if masked texture it flickers), but all reflections flickers a lot, all curtain reflections changing from dark to light in high frequency
-opacity masked the material texture and its shadows flickers a lot
-translucent shows dark normals

I spent lot of time to find a workaround, but no success so far.

thanks!

1 Like

The issue with the translucent mat is sorting. Try enabling “sort triangles” on the mesh, or possibly order independent transparency in the project settings if you’re in UE5.1. Subsurface will likely look more believable than transparent.
To fix the flickering reflection on dithered mats, probably best to use raytracing quality switch in the shader to disable the dithering in the reflected image.
Subsurface or dithered TAA will probably give you the best look if you want a mostly opaque curtain, as transparent materials have reduced lighting and shading quality.

1 Like

Hi and many thanks!

-sort triangles did not help
-independet transparency helped, but UE got frozen after moment
-raytracing quality switch thats the node I needed to find! it helped!

just curious, is there any way to get rid of the flickering on small patterns used as opacity masks (without usage of the temporalditherAA)?

-Yeah, the sort triangles can be a bit iffy.
-Not sure why OIT would freeze your engine. It is a really amazing feature though.
-Awesome, glad that helped.

-Eh, kinda. The issue is probably that the texels and pixels don’t align. If the texture detail is less than a pixel, some of the subpixels may say it should be opaque while the others says it is transparent and it could flicker between them as it samples. If the transparency pattern was projected in screen space (like a per pixel checkerboard), then texels and pixels will line up perfectly and not flicker. The downside is that the effect would clearly follow the camera.

This method is good for some things, like when you want to fade out an object that might be obstructing the player’s view. DitherTAA may cause distracting ghosting, and the player knows it’s meant to look artificial and won’t be bothered by the screen door effect.

Also, all of these effects look better if you are using higher resolutions. By default the engine usually scales down the viewport resolution which makes TAA and dithering based effects look worse. Just something to keep in mind.