CSM Far Shadows - supported on Mobile?

In my tests, I cannot get CSM Far Shadows working with Mobile (not in Android ES31 preview and not on real device) - while with same settings in SM5 things work nicely. I did not find any official statement on whether it is supported or not on mobile.
Is there anyone who can confirm, if this should work (so I can proceed searching for my mistake), or if this is actually not supported on Android?

I found the answer: YES it is definitely supported, and the solution for the problem is easy:

The sum of Num Dynamic Shadow Cascades and Far Shadow Cascade Count must not exceed the defined MaxCascades values.

For mobile, this MaxCascades value can be set via

Project Settings > Engine > Rendering > Mobile > Maximum number of CSM cascades to render.

The default value for this is 2.

This means, that with the default value of 3 CSM cascades for a directional light, this will always cause far shadows to disappear in mobile/GLES31 preview. Kind of a “default error”.

So either increasing the above project settings or decreasing the Cascade counts to sum up below the Project defined maximum solves the issue.

Note also, that changing settings using r consolecommands does not work. It needs to be set in the configuration. I first tried the console commands. It did not help, which led me to the wrong conclusion, that far shadows might not be supported on mobile.

BTW: The Project Settings changes end up in the DefaultEngine.ini in Project directory.

2 Likes