Critique me!

One year of UE devving, let me know what you think! Demo reel:

2 Likes

Wow, I give your Demo reel a 5/5 rating! At a mere glimpse, one can see you’ve learned a lot in your one year of dev work; it’s brilliant stuff. I only wish it were longer. :star_struck:

1 Like

Hi there @ta9669,

Welcome to the Unreal Engine Forums! It’s so nice to see a new face :slight_smile:

As for criticism, I have absolutely none. Every scene is stunning and filled with warmth. Beautiful work!

2 Likes

maybe not criticism directly, but:
If this is intended to be a portfolio piece for prospective employment, or even for future personal reference, write down somewhere what you did for each of these scenes (what assets you directly made, the assets you modified, maybe a rough estimate for how long it took you to do each scene and be honest about time spent actually working on it)
separately note down the parts you found easy, the parts you found difficult, what were some interesting problems you had to solve to achieve a given effect.

the reason I suggest this is:
for personal use: you can see how far you have come, how much you have improved, and maybe what you might still need to work on.
for potential employment project application: these will be either direct or indirect questions, the part I mentioned to mark down separately might be more subtle questions.

I suggest writing them down somewhere so 6 months a year from now you won’t need to have to remember “was that light effect in that scene really that difficult”
I personally have been there in the middle of an interview, or just showing my stuff to friends and trying to remember all the steps I had to take in order to accomplish something.

Some of your list in the youtube description are a little vague and open ended, but otherwise looks good.

2 Likes

thank you so much! means a lot to get your support! i will add to it for you :smile:

1 Like

thanks so much! i appreciate the warm welcome! been reading these forums for a long time and so feels great to contribute something!

2 Likes

much appreciated, I will work on doing what you mention. Do you have any examples of such a walk through like that? I wanted to make something very brief, so didnt go too deep. But would be very interested to see what youre describing would look like.

I totally agree with your reasoning, I have been taking notes on the side here and there, but see how it could be very valuable going forward so I will embrace what youre saying going forward!

1 Like

Glad you finally decided to hop in :slight_smile: I look forward to seeing more of your art in the future.

2 Likes

The pleasure is all mine! Please don’t hesitate to tag me whenever you post anything new, and I’ll watch for any new notifications. :grin:

Thank you for sharing your lovely work with us in the forums! :raised_hands:

1 Like

Hi there @ta9669 !

I loved this. Seeing a creator’s year in a review is always so beautiful. From the very beginning I can already see confidence and that grows further down the line. We see you start expanding in your comfort zones to things more complex and you make it yours. It’s truly inspiring to see because even now I’m sure you have many things you want to learn and grow on.

I hope you are able to grow beyond the expectations you set when you first started! You’ve learned where you are strong and you keep showing improvement on the areas you’re unfamiliar with. Keep up the amazing work this year!

2 Likes

Thank you very much! Such kind words and motivation. I will keep learning as much as I can!

3 Likes