[Critical] Extreme lag / performance problems on UEFN islands with creatures & wildlife while building enabled

Reference ID

0bd51358-41fd-1e9b-633d-539073794ca1

Please select what you are reporting on:

Creative

What Type of Bug are you experiencing?

Assets

Summary

This is a very critical issue for big open-world maps that rely on creatures and buildings as a gameplay element as it will cause players to leave much earlier due to the performance impact!!

On a big island with creatures/wildlife spawning recently, the server has huge performance problems.
This worked perfectly before and only recently started to reappear. I think this has been patched before and might have been reintroduced accidentally with one of the latest Fortnite updates.

My best guess would be that this has to do with the navmesh for aI pathing being altered by placing builds by a player.

When a player places a build the game hangs for a small amount of time.

In my open-world map ForestZ I had a perfectly working build. When updating this error occurred there as well. On a different open-world map I made this error occurred already from the start.

Playing the private build of that version of ForestZ that was working also has these issues and all the new private/public builds have it as well

I have tested removing creatures/wildlife and it 100% solves the performance issues so this is the cause!

Steps to Reproduce

Make a big map with complex landscapes and obstacles (trees, buildings, etc).
Add creatures and wildlife and enable the building
Start the game, wait for creatures to spawn (Already laggy), and then place builds.
You will notice a big delay/lag spike

Expected Result

No lag as this has already worked without any performance issues before!!

Observed Result

Extreme server lag spikes

Platform(s)

windows

Island Code

3422-8734-7108

The status of UCB-1152 incident has been moved from ‘Closed’ to ‘Needs Triage’.

Would like this to be reopened - Guard spawners, wildlife, etc, simply lag SO bad! Causes rubber banding while doing anything.

1 Like

This definietly still happens. Just tested it out on my map ForestZ.

• Enabled building in UEFN settings.
  • Wait for zombies to spawn
  • Build
  • Extreme lag spike / rubberbanding

This has something to do with the “Can affect Navigation” and “Nav Mesh Flag” setting in the placed meshes.

Yeah its probably the recalculation of nav meshes on the fly. Sadly if a player places fortnite builds while playing this always affects navigation so this is probably what is causing it

3 Likes

Issue Still persists. Here is a video of it.

Another one with the path being updated and rubberbanding:

Removing the creatures eliminates 100% of the lag. It feels like the updating of the navmesh of the island is causing the server to lag (Maybe the nav mesh is updated in the main thread of the server instead of asynchronously / parallel which causes the problems)

Please reopen! Also if anyone has found a workaround for this other than disabling the building completely please drop it in here as this decreased my average playtime by 5 minutes and had already been fixed in a previous version of Fortnite :slight_smile:

Little update on this topic: The rubberbanding also occurs on a newly created project with a new flat landscape and default material and a bunch of creature / wildlife spawners placed when building a few wooden ramps while the game is started.

When replacing the landscape with a world grid cube it does not cause rubberbanding so the lanndscape is definietly involved in this.

Updated Easier steps to reproduce:

• Create new blank project
  • Create new landscape with jungle chapter 4 material
  • Place a bunch of creature and wildlife spawnners with default settings
  • Start game and build a few wooden ramps near the creatures

=> Rubberbanding occours

Will investigate into this further

Update 2: After removing the world grid cube and placing down another landscape it works without lag. It def has something todo with the landscape.

Investigating further :wink:

1 Like

Update 3: New project did the same - same result. STill rubberbanding
But when placing a ramp in edit mode and starting the game with the ramp still beiing there it did not rubberband. I have the suspicion this occours only on worlds that do not use any props / bulidings on the on the normal fortnite grid and only use build to prop. My current suspicion is if you do not have at least 1 structure on the structural grid it will create it at runtime causing huge lag

Update 4: Tested back on my main project building a ramp in edit mode and starting the game then building (So the suspicion for the cause has to be wrong) => no success , still rubberbanding

1 Like

Update 5: After testing removing the landscape from my main project it still did not fix the rubberbanding when building. Only removing creatures so far has removed the rubberbanding. I also tried removing all verse devices which changed nothing and will now go on removing all devices type by type as well as props

Video: Removed all landscape, all verse device, many props and device but it is still happening

Update 6: After deleting nearly everything besides the default world grid cube floor and 5 creature spawners the rubberbanding goes away => Conclusion: when either removing most of the map the lag goes away of leaving all of the map and only removing creature spawners / wildlife it is clearly the creature / wildlife spawners that is the cause in combination with props, landscape and other devices

1 Like

If anyone finds a solution or has more info on this please post in here too

1 Like

This is the same bug that has been around for months now that occurs when any animations play such as from sequencers, airdrops, mantling, prop movers, vehicles. I assume its the same with building as there are animations playing (networked ones).

Unable to make maps with creatures for a few months because of this. @Flak

1 Like

Thanks for the ping, we’ll get someone to take a look.

1 Like

@chrisp_games
Do you have World Partition on?
Could you DM me your logs?

Yes world partitition is enabled :slight_smile: Will send you the logs as DM

Also just tested and still happening as of 28.20.
Logs do not seem to have any indicator that could cause the bug. I am still pretty sure the lag / rubberbaning is caused by AI Navmesh creation / adjustment.
As the player is building the AI has to check for a new path , the navmesh changes which causes the stutter / rubberbanding

Thank you, it doesn’t look like I’ve received your logs, could you try to send again?

The lag is more obvious in Private/Publish version than Launch session’s.
When I wait like 5-10min. after starting the game, I can build normally though.