Creating photographic scenes

Hi all,

I would like to create virtual scenes that would look like photographs. To be more precise, instead of shooting real objects with a real reflex, I would like to create the scene on Unreal Engine and “take the picture” with Unreal Engine. Why this program ? Because it is free, it has a community, and it seems rather (…) easy to grasp, I guess. And why using a program instead of real life ? Just for the total freedom of action !

My goal is to have something the more realistic possible, even if it will take several hours to calculate the final picture, if needed. Ideally, I would love to set a position is space that will be like my camera, a focal length to adjust, well, my focal lentgh. My objects and my light sources would be movable within the editor, and when I am set, run the simulation from the position I set at the beginning, with a determined focal length, and with all the best graphic settings I can hope for.
Unfortunately I have zero knowledge of Unreal Engine (except playing games that use it :slight_smile: ). So I do not know where I should even begin. I know how to use Catia, so the easy objects can be created easily. For complex figures like caves, characters and whatnot, that will be for later.
I know that it is not a game that I want to create. What category seems to be the best ? Architectural design ? Industrial design… ? My first guess is that it is Unreal Studio that I should use, but even when I look at the tutorials, I do not see any of them being close to what I want to do… Is Unreal Studio even the right track already ? Or am I getting it the wrong way (or even the good forum, actually…) ? I am sure that what I want to do is feasible… If a good soul could shed some light, I’d be thankful :slight_smile:

Greetings from Switzerland

Hey pal,

What you want is surely achievable and I think you’re on the right path. With Unreal Engine you can achieve incredible results quite fast.

Take a look at this video below and see if it’s relevant to what you want to do, I think it’s a good starting point :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATX7kmET4zE

Good luck!