Creating object outlines like UE4 Editor Outlines

Hello everyone,

I am trying to create object outlines like the ones in the unreal editor e.g. as shown in the following screenshot:

So I have consumed quite a few tutorials and other materials on the topic.
Here is a list for anybody interested in the topic:

[Post Process Materials in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine Documentation][2]

[Multi-color Outline Post Process - Tom Looman][3]

[https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/survivor-vision][4]

[How to Create Masks With the Custom Depth Buffer | Tips & Tricks | Unreal Engine - YouTube][5]

[[Tutorial] Unreal Engine render part 2(Sequencer, Custom Depth Stencil) [教學] 虛幻引擎+實拍合成 part 2 - YouTube][6]

The old posts from the answer hub were not helpful, mostly because the referenced resources were no longer available:

[How can I create an outline highlight similar to the one used in the editor? - Programming & Scripting - Unreal Engine Forums][7]

[Showing an outline of an actor through other meshes - Rendering - Unreal Engine Forums][8]

The main problem I run into is that the outlines I want should encase the whole object and may not merge with outlines of other object like this:

Any pointers on how to tackle this or where to look are much appreciated!
My knowledge as of now is very limited when is comes to materials and post processing which is why I could not alter any of the sources above to do what I would like them to.

Thanks for reading! :wink:

So, it has been over a year asked this question and I did experiment on the topic recently. In case if you are still looking for a solution for this, I got one for ya. The method I developed to prevent merging outlines is explained in this video. Hope you will find this useful.
Thanks!
Unreal Engine 5 - Outline Effect Part 2 - Improvements

1 Like