Creating 'Environment Mask' similar to Sunset Overdrive.

Hi!

So a bit of context. I’m creating a vertical slice for a university game and I am stuck on creating what is called an ‘environment shader’ in the GDC talk, but I guess it could also be seen as a huge mask for most things in the environment. I am quite terrible with Unreal so talk at me like I’m a baby. There are images with the basic idea I’m trying to achieve however here is the link for what I am talking about:

Heading down to slide 50 is where I start crying. I am trying to create a similar style to sunset overdrive and they have these procedural paint-stroke masks applied to the whole of the environment. I would like to get this in my game but I am unsure if it takes a heavily skilled individual or if someone like myself can achieve this and if so, how? They used their own engine and like I said I am in my first stages of unreal however this would speed up the creation of my game 10 fold. Any help is appreciated!

Hello I know this was a few years ago… but did you find a solution and also if you didn’t how did you manage to do it?

Checkout the video as well, it includes more information

It’s just a bunch of lerps, with vertex colors, and masks. They use world space projection for the masks.

Hey thanks for the reply!

I’ve watched and studied the video. But same question as the person 5 years ago, how do you project a texture across the entire level in UE5z

Picture for example:

You say about a space projection, I cannot see any YouTube video on this unless it’s about placing a object in the world and the material not moving once you move the object.

I don’t know if you know how to do the technique in the video that would be appreciated

you’d use worldaligned texture or triplanar projection. kinda expensive tho. the other method would be using a second uv set and a tiling scale for the procedural textures.

Obviously it’s not that expensive, Sunset Overdrive managed to use it across their entire environment 10 years ago on the Xbox One. Even Xbox 360 games were using to hide tiling.

But yeah there’s a built in texture node called WorldAlignedTexture that does exactly this.

it can be expensive if you do it wrong. the projection and uv math should be done in the vertex shader. not sure if the node manages that. that’s that. hmm