Creating a Grid with Text

Hi-

I am coming over from Unity, and trying to figure a few things out. In my unity projects I created a grid by first creating a MonoBehavior, and havingf that create a GameObject per cell. Each GO allowed me to attach as a sub-component a Text component. This allowed me to change the text of each GO at runtime. I am working on porting this over to unreal.

I have a procedural mesh working that creates the whole grid as one mesh - I am not sure this is correct or the best solution, since each cell will need to change its color and text. Should I create an Actor per cell? And then should I just add a textender component to each actor?

I also notice the text render component text is backwards - I havent found anything thus far about why this is the case?

Thank you for any advice,

mf.

Since posting this question I made some progress. However I have a huge issue which I cannot find help with anywhere, which suggests my thinking is incorrect. To explain, here is my workflow:

1. I have a grid component that is an actor
  2. This component attaches a scene component to its root
  3. I then create (rows x cols) GridCell scene components which each has a procedural mesh.
  4. I attach these cells to the scene component.

All of this works work. However, I have two properties on the Grid (Rows & Cols). If I modify Rows for example, I need to rebuild the grid. This rebuilding process basically fails - crashes the editor and all sorts of things.

I am unable to figure out how to remove each cell and rebuild them from scratch without a crash.

I am wondering if someone can help/advise on what to think about when adding and removing scene components programmatically?

Thanks,

mf.