Create static minimap with movable player icon

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance for your help! I’m trying to set up a simple minimap composed of a basic texture with static object/icons positioned around the map. The only movable icon is the white arrow that should move around the map and rotate as the player does. See attached screenshot for the current minimap on the HUD.

I’ve looked everywhere and most tutorials focus on using Scene Captures and/or Render Textures, or else the minimap moves as the player moves, keeping the player icon in the center of the map.

For my project, instead, I would prefer to have only the player icon move around the minimap square. How can I connect the game world space (also a square) to the minimap canvas panel square? How can I connect the minimap icon in the miniamap to the rotation and location of the player in the game world?

Thank you!

Hi, what you would need is

(-) a texture of your map that you want to display in the minimap

you can get that for example with a scene capture 2d component that renders an orthographic view from the top of your map onto a rendertarget and then create a static texture from that rendertarget (or just avoid real time capturing and use the rendertarget directly)

(-) some way to display icons

e. g. you could make every icon a new widget and then add those widgets to your minimap widget

(-) some way to transform the world position of those icons (where those objects are in the world) to the position they have on the screen in the minimap

So something like that

For the position of the player icon it would be the exact same, for the rotating, just rotate the widget/image of the player icon

I’ve looked everywhere and most
tutorials focus on using Scene
Captures and/or Render Textures, or
else the minimap moves as the player
moves, keeping the player icon in the
center of the map.

Also it might be useful to work through those anyway, since if you know how to do them, you will also know how to do what you want for your minimap.