Create Map in 3D Software or in UE4

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I should create a whole Map in a 3D Software (I use Blender) or just assemble the assets in UE4. My Problem is that I have to create a MOBA (LoL, DoTA, HoN, Smite) style Map and it needs to be perfectly symmetrical. It’s very easy in Blender to create such a Map but I don’t think it’s a good solution. For Example recreating all those Materials in UE4 and they are all on just 1 Model? I don’t think that thats the best way to do it. But I don’t know how I could create a terrain that is symmetrical.

How would you guys approach such a Map?

Thanks in advance.

Build you map in the UE4, because then you can use LOD’s and culling + you are more flexible as you can move the assets :slight_smile:
You could create your terrain in your 3d program -> after that just bake a raw16 heightmap and then you can import it into your landscape tool

Thanks I didn’t think about creating a heightmap from the Map in blender at all. That seems like the best possible solution.

You could also build one half of your map in UE4, export the map (e.g. to PNG or RAW format), then mirror it in Photoshop/GIMP and then re-import the map back into UE4.