Create a hex grid on a sphere

I am trying to create a hex grid that gets mapped correctly to a sphere. There is already a hex grid texture included with the starter content, but it gets distorted if I apply it directly to a sphere. Do you have any advice on how to generate textures that map to a sphere correctly?

Hi,

I guess cartographers and mapmakers have been asking that question since the invention of navigation.
Alas, to this day there is no known solution that would project a 3d surface onto a 2d map without distortions.
In your case, you are trying the reverse, which unfortunately is also not possible.

Cheers,
Klaus

Thanks for the response! I know that what you are describing is impossible, but that is not what I’m asking for.

I am looking for advice on how to generate textures that map to a sphere correctly. I don’t care if they are distorted when applied to a plane. This must be a common activity, so maybe it is obvious to someone with more experience than me.

For example, I could create a texture in Photoshop, then apply a distortion to it, which would allow it to map to the sphere properly. I don’t know if there is a filter that would solve this problem.

Alternatively, I could create a material that distorts the existing rectangular texture before applying it. I just don’t know how to do that. Maybe something with the texture coordinates?

If it is not obvious, I am new to UE4, and 3d graphics programming in general.

Hi,

I thought you tried it with the plain hex texture :slight_smile:
While you could to the distortions via photoshop, it would be much easier to modify the texture uv maps in your 3d appliction.

Not just maybe … :smiley:

For example in max, just go into the uv editor of the uvw unwrap modifier and switch to textured view (top right dropdown list).
Now you can move UVs around and see the reult immediatöey in the perspective viewport…

Cheers,
Klaus

Cheers,
Klaus

In this case, I am not using another 3d application besides the UE4 editor. Is it possible to do this from within the static mesh editor in UE4, or will I need to use a 3rd party application to do this?

I’m at work right now, otherwise I’d load up the editor and give it a try.

Hi,

Nope. You would need a dedicated 3d modeling application.
The mesh “editor” of UE4 only lets you edit the properties of the static mesh asset, but neither its geometry, nor its UV layouts.
The only thing you could do is, create additional UVs, but then without the option to modify them in any way.

just get a student copy (for free) that is valid for 3 years for 3dsmax, or use any other modeler, such as Blender. Maya, etc…
You can get Maya also as a student edition for free from autodesk.
Blender is also free…

Cheers,
Klaus