Crashing from running out of shared memory

Hi there,

I just bought a RTX 3090 24GB so I could render more demanding scenes with the pathtracer. My issue is that my system start using the shared memory instead of the dedicated memory and crashes from it.

I have a fairly simple scene here with a cabinet and an otherwise empty scene. All textures are 4k or below and I’m upscaling 150% with a 4k rendering resolution. Running 5k samples as you can see here:

Shortly after this screenshot I get the “out of video memory trying to allocate a texture” error while there is about 8GB of VRAM left.

Have anyone encountered this? I have tried this in the windowsengine.ini:

[TextureStreaming]
; PoolSizeVRAMPercentage is how much percentage of GPU Dedicated VRAM should be used as a TexturePool cache for streaming textures (0 - unlimited streaming)
PoolSizeVRAMPercentage=0

and I have done this:

Does anyone have a suggestion what to do about this?

Thank you in advance,
Pontus

Hello @Ponwes, the best thing that can happen to you is the system using shared memory!

I think you are causing the crash…

are you using the memory from SSD? I don’t understand language, in this case… normal…

remove this

no…

use:
r.TextureStreaming 0
r.Streaming.PoolSize 16000

Also, if it still crashing, try the legacy…

Thank you sincerly Alberto!

I think so too. The thing that seemed to cause the crash was because I used to many spatial samples in relation to temporal samples. I brought down the spatial samples and after that I could render with 50k samples in total. Great!

What do you mean by “using the memory from SSD”?

In the name of learning - what do you mean by “the best thing that can happen to you is the system using shared memory!”?. Why would I not want Unreal to max out the VRAM?

Okey I will definitely try this. What does this do, why would I use those values and why would I not use the line that I used?

I hope you do not mind the questions!

Best wishes
Pontus

Hello @Ponwes!

Do not use this:

Well, your scene is eating all the resources you have :smiley:

Take a look to Gpu crash/d3d device removed error? - #42 by alberto

is It necessary to use 4k textures?
not sure perhaps… r.VT.PoolSizeScale 0.5

Try to render with legacy, quality is the same, just to see if it works, look what a result

1 Like