Crash when using GPU Lightmass after updating project to 5.3.0

As far as I am aware, this crash only happens on a project where I have upgraded from 5.2 to 5.3, and does not seem to occur on projects locally created on 5.3.
The crash occurs when using GPU lightmass (on a scene of any complexity- even just a single model) with real-time preview disabled.
The crash is as follows:

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0xffffffffffffffff

UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_GPULightmass
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

Is there anything I can do to solve this?

Hey there @Wheatttttt! I can’t seem to replicate the issue myself. Going to test a couple of configurations to see if I can trigger it.

May I know your specs?

This might be the same error I have, I pasted my stack to UE 5.3 Crashes in different scenarios with the same error. - #3 by TadParty (Don’t want to spam the same info everywhere)
Would be very grateful for any help in any direction

I also migrated our project (from 5.1 in our case). The project itself started on UE4 and had to endure a couple of conversions already…

1 Like

My specs are as follows:
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-13600KF Processor
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
RAM: 32.0 GB

Another thing worth noting is that my project makes use of asset packs from the unreal marketplace, which were added before the upgrade.
Upon upgrade, the initial lighting build didn’t go through, with the engine instead prompting me to update the lightmap format of the models, or something similar to that.

All subsequent attempts to build the lighting start to work, but get to around 30-80% before crashing. (at some point it’d always get to a very specific number every time that i’ve forgotten, around the range of 80-90, and always crash then, but that does not appear to be the case anymore)

Hey, digging into this a bit since we are having the same problem.

Log:

LogGPULightmass: GPULightmass is now running at full speed
LogGPULightmass: Resizing GPULightmass scratch tile pool to (12, 12) 816x816
LogGPULightmass: Cached ray tracing scene is invalidated due to material changes
LogGPULightmass: Cached ray tracing scene is invalidated due to material changes
[579]LogWindows: Error: appError called: Assertion failed: ResourceMap.Contains(Resource) [File:D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\RenderGraphValidation.cpp] [Line: 790] 
Resource at 000007097BB4FC00 registered with pass LightmapGBufferTile is not part of the graph and is likely a dangling pointer or garbage value.

This seems to be the trigger, not sure what material changes could be happening in the scene, will try to find what material/s are causing this.

1 Like

Hi @Wheatttttt ,
You configuration will allow you to use

or to use
Luoshuang’s GPULightmass - for Unreal 5.3.1 binary)

Heyy!! Have you find any solution for it ?

Hi all,
When you upgrade from any previous version you must disable/ unload EPIC GPU Lightmass plugin.
So if you are using 5.3 and upgraded your project from 51/5.2 you must untick the box in Project → Plugins and restart UE Editor as prompted.
Now reopen the project in 5.3 and Enable EPIC GPU Lightmass plugin.
The now loads the latest version of plugin into your Project.
This is same procedure for all plugins. Often you have to get a new version from Epic Marketplace, so you do this automatically.
The original problem dump is from Direct X 12 drivers for Nvidia having a problem.
See the documentation for 5.1 in
GPU Lightmass Global Illumination | Epic Developer Community (epicgames.com)

You must have downloaded the automatic Nvidia drivers update program to update you Windows 10.

UE 5.3 does NOT WORK WITH WINDOWS 11 because the DirectX 12 Ultimate drivers to not have the same tightly written code as Windows 10 drivers.

Just install Windows 10 and the latest Nvidia drivers