[crash] Crash after console closes

Bug is persistent, to reproduce:

1. Open and close console (hit ‘~’ twice, console should have focus on close)
  2. Logger will output a record: LogWindows: Windows GetLastError: The operation completed successfully. (0)
  3. Now UE4Editor may crash randomly on slate interaction (right/left clicking on viewport to open context menu) or will crash on close

First appeared after > this commit

My guess is SEditableText not handles “dead parent loop” (reference pointer to parent that was destroyed)

I’ve sent few bug reports with logs.

I have to say, compared to crash caused by mentioned commit, now UE4Editor still work after console closes. While commit caused immediate crash.

Hello ,

I was not able to reproduce this issue on our end. I have a few questions for you that will help narrow down what issue it is that you are experiencing.

Quick questions:

1. Can you reproduce this issue in clean project?
  2. If so, could you provide a detailed list of steps (including any small steps that may have been missed in the original post) so that we can reproduce this issue on our end?
  3. If not, could you provide the project that is having the issue along with steps to reproduce the issue?

Here’s video.

It’s a blank new project on just downloaded 4.12 p2.

OS Win 8.1 (that may be relevant).

Hello ,

I tried following the steps in the video and was not able to reproduce this issue on our end. Could you provide your dxdiag as well as your complete call stack?

I’ve sent all the files via Crash Reporter (dxdiag report as well)

Machineid: 98E407614E1D16F2CDA5528409C75F32

Still exist in 4.12 p3. Not complaining.
I would like to fix it myself, but I’m not that good at debugging. Plus seems like it has really delayed effect, so I’ve spent like 4-5 hours in attempt to solve it and failed.

Hello ,

I have been unable to reproduce this crash on our end. Could you try verifying your engine and let me know if the crash still occurs?

Hello ,

We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will offer further assistance.

Thank you.

Tested on 4.12p4 - exist. It doesn’t bother me.

And I’m not sure what additional info I could provide.

I’ll just wait till 4.12 release and if no one will face same bug - means problem on my side. I’ll handle it…

Hello ,

Did you get a chance to try verifying your engine version? I have provided an example below.

50416-verifyenginehelp.png

Sure. I’ve also tried to reinstall it from the scratch (removed folder 4.12).

Can confirm bug still exist in 4.12.0 release.

[Full Dump][2]

Hello ,

I know that you said you are using a blank project in a previous post, however could you provide a project that you are using to cause this issue to occur?

It appears in every project. And basically it only related to UE4editor itself. I blame the garbage collector atm. Just an assumption, but seems it is trying to clean up SEditableText destroyed object after some time (that’s why it’s not immediate).
crash_project

Hello ,

After doing a bit more digging and taking a look at the callstack that was given I was able to find that this is a known issue (UE-32009) and that it has been submitted to the developers for further consideration. I will provide updates with any pertinent information as it becomes available. Thank you for your time and information.

Make it a great day

Ok. Good. Hope i’ll be fixed soon. Because of new way this bug may appear.

Is it possible to add it on tracker? Because it’s already 4.12.5 released and bug is still there.
Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-32009) - unknown issue

Hello ,

The link in your last comment is now working. I have updated the report to make it public.

Make it a great day

Just downloaded 4.13p1. It is fixed! Love You guys!