Controlling two pawns at once?

Hey everyone. What I want to achieve is somewhat of a split screen co-op type game, except that it is only rendering player 1’s camera. The problem I am having right now is the ability to control two players at once. My first attempt was to simply have two different inputs: One for the keyboard, and one for the controller, at least for prototyping. Problem is, I can only get one player blueprint to run. I tried possession, but that overrides the original players controls!

After some research (https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/60204/how-do-i-control-2-pawns-with-1-controller.html), it seems like the way to go about it is to edit the ‘player controller’, but I don’t even know what that is! I can’t find this elusive ‘player controller’ in UE4, much less open it and add a variable. I don’t even know if this is the correct way, as the source is pretty vague.

Being a beginner to UE4, I am out of options. I will keep researching and see if I can figure something out, but as of right now I don’t know what to do, other than ask for help. If anyone has any idea, please let me know!

Thanks in advance~!

Edit: I wend to the game mode blueprint I created and went to ‘player controller class’, and there it was in the drop down list. I clicked the magnifying glass to select it in the content browser aaaand… nothing happens. Nothing gets selected, and the browser tab flashes, as if it’s laughing at me -,-

How about 1 pawn that has 2 “bodies”…

That sound’s like that could work. But how would I get around to creating that? And would they be truly independent of each other, as they share a pivot point at the top of the hierarchy?

Just thought I’d bump this. This is the last thing between me starting to block out some levels.

You need to create a player controller, as there is a base controller with limited, pre-defined options by default.

I’m having a little trouble visualizing what you’re trying to do; is this local ONLY co-op, i.e - two people definitely need to be at the same location?

Or is it two players sharing the same screen space, with a priority for the first player, ala SNES Donkey Kong / Super Mario Bros?

Ill have to explain it a little more. Imagine a basic co-op, split screen shooter to start

Basically the premise of the game is that player 2 is blind, so he doesn’t have a screen. Therefore player 1 has to keep player 2 in his sight while player 2 uses player 1’s screen to see where he is going, aka ‘screen peeking’.

Imagine a co-op halo game, where you covered up one of the screens. Actually a friend and I did just that, and it worked surprisingly well.

I’ve done this already, you just have two of your ‘pawns’ in a single ‘pawn’ class. So, have two character meshes in a single pawn class. (NOT Character Class)

Will require an awful lot of blueprint behind the scenes, but it’s not impossible. Myself and a couple of others did a game-gam game that had two wisps of light chasing each other, trying to destroy one another. Controlled on the same keyboard :slight_smile:

Okay, im starting to understand… but hlw would I go about implimenting this?

I think you might be overcomplicating things. If you are actually going to have two gamepads/keyboard/etc as inputs, you can just use two separate player controllers. Use the create new player node, then disable split screen in the project settings. Player Controller 1 is the one which controlls the camera and the other just moves. Is that what you are looking for?

yes, this is exactly what I’m looking for!

I get home in a half hour, so I’ll try it then, thanks!

Okay, so I can’t find out where to add this ‘create new player’ node, I went into the second player controller blueprint graph with no luck, I also tried the level blueprint. Nothing. where is it?

I did, however, find the split screen and unchecked it, so there’s that I guess.

It’s called Create Player. Do it in the level blueprint to test. Just default settings.

I feel like a complete idiot, but I searched ‘create player’ in the level blueprint, and nothing. What am I doing wrong?

Type Create Player in the library on the right side.

I don’t see anything :eek:

One more bump. It seems like I just don’t have some options that others have, which I know isn’t true, but it sure is confusing :open_mouth:

Have you checked other projects to see if they exist there?

I loaded up a new level, and attempted it on a base template, no dice.

I was able to get this working.

Default player character as one pawn, and a duplicate copy placed within the game world which I then triggered via the level blueprint referencing it as an actor. This way I was able to get the two pawns moving off the same controller, but the camera is still locked to the default character.

Awesome! Did you happen to have a screenshot of the blueprint? I don’t know how to trigger it.

Sorry for being a super noob.