Controller Autorun Speed Exploit with Vehicles

Please select what you are reporting on:

Creative

What Type of Bug are you experiencing?

Devices

Summary

When the controller setting “accelerate vehicle with thumbstick” is enabled, vehicles can gain extra speed when turning with the controller thumbstick. This exploit can be done with almost any vehicle, but can be noticed the most with the Sports Car when it is affected by a movement modulator set to 2.0 speed or higher.
Most people wouldn’t find this a problem, but I host competitive races in Creative and UEFN, and having controller players have a competitive speed advantage over keyboard and mouse players is a big issue. I have to tell people to not use the “autorun” speed exploit to keep it fair, but its is hard to enforce because I can not see peoples screen to see if they trying to hide the fact they are using it or if they won fair and square.

Steps to Reproduce

Place a Sports Car spawner (Or other vehicle), place down a movement modulator and set it to 2.0 or higher, and use a controller with the accelerate with thumbstick option enabled, and you will see the vehicle gain extra speed when turning with the thumbstick.

Expected Result

Using controller autorun should not give the vehicle extra speed when turning

Observed Result

Players using controller autorun and acceleration with thumbstick have a speed advantage over people who do not use controller

Platform(s)

All

Additional Notes

If someone from epic could make sure this exploit is noted and set to be fixed eventually that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to read this post.

The status of FORT-756879 incident has been moved from ‘Ready for QA’ to ‘Closed’. Resolution Reason: ‘Unresolved’

1 Like

so its not going to be fixed?

1 Like

Hey @Commander1117, thanks for the report.

In today’s 30.40 release notes I noticed : Turning on the Controller Auto Run option no longer provides a speed advantage while driving vehicles.

You mention both autorun and thumbstick acceleration. Can you verify that this bug has been fixed for both?

this bug is not fixed, I just tested it on my map, without this exploit the vehicles speeds are around 120, with using autorun I can get speeds up to 130 to 140.

Honestly, I would say the exploit got worse after the V30.40, because I can go even faster with vehicles using autorun on my maps. Its hard to tell if its fixed or not if you leave the vehicles on the default speeds, but if you use a movement modulator to speed the cars up, the faster the cars go, the more of a speed advantage using the autorun speed exploit is.

Hi Commander,

Thanks for the updates.

Since ‘BugReporter’ has already “Closed” this issue, I think the best path forward would be to create a new bug report. (Citing the attempted 30.40 fix and demonstrating that it’s still an issue.)

This could be a situation where the interplay between Vehicle top speed, Movement Modulators, and Autorun would require major changes/rewrites to one of those systems…