CONSTANT crash when reimporting a .fbx

UE Editor 5.0.3
Windows 10
DirectX 12
RTX 2080ti

Whenever I try to reimport a simple .fbx or.obj (a single cube exported from Blender), UE crashes.

It will crash whether the asset was modified or not.

I’m using a single cube to simplify the scene and make it easier to narrow down the problem.

The crash report is different every time except for a few lines at the bottom.

I’ve had the same crash for multiple builds of UE.

Steps to reproduce:

• “Import Into Level” a .fbx or .obj
  • “Reimport” the asset by right clicking on it in the browser.
  • UE will crash (may take a couple of tries).

Here’s a sample crash report:

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x000000000000006b

UnrealEditor_Core!_mi_heap_malloc_zero() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\ThirdParty\mimalloc\src\alloc.c:147]
UnrealEditor_Core!mi_heap_malloc_zero_aligned_at() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\ThirdParty\mimalloc\src\alloc-aligned.c:47]
UnrealEditor_Core!mi_realloc_aligned() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\ThirdParty\mimalloc\src\alloc-aligned.c:187]
UnrealEditor_Core!FMallocMimalloc::Realloc() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\HAL\MallocMimalloc.cpp:129]
UnrealEditor_Core!FMemory::Realloc() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\HAL\FMemory.inl:56]
UnrealEditor_Engine!TArray<UE::Math::TTransform<double>,TSizedDefaultAllocator<32> >::ResizeForCopy() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Containers\Array.h:2814]
UnrealEditor_Engine!Audio::FAudioDebugger::SendUpdateResultsToGameThread() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\AudioDebug.cpp:2402]
UnrealEditor_Engine!FAudioDevice::Update() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\AudioDevice.cpp:4561]
UnrealEditor_Engine!FAudioDeviceManager::IterateOverAllDevices() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\AudioDeviceManager.cpp:963]
UnrealEditor_Engine!FAudioDeviceManager::UpdateActiveAudioDevices() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\AudioDeviceManager.cpp:944]
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::Tick() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\EditorEngine.cpp:2052]
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd!UUnrealEdEngine::Tick() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\UnrealEdEngine.cpp:474]
UnrealEditor!FEngineLoop::Tick() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\LaunchEngineLoop.cpp:5215]
UnrealEditor!GuardedMain() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Launch.cpp:183]
UnrealEditor!GuardedMainWrapper() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:147]
UnrealEditor!LaunchWindowsStartup() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:283]
UnrealEditor!WinMain() [D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:330]
UnrealEditor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [d:\a01\_work\6\s\src\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:288]
kernel32
ntdll
1 Like

In reference to another post, if you also reimport textures, it won’t crash.

I have this problem in UE4 when I open the damaged level. Someone mentions Windows DEP, but it only works with 32-bit programs.

I have this issue in 5.1 too
Impossible for me to reimport fbx after it was imported using “import into level”

SOLUTION! [UE 5.1.1]

This kept happening to me and I found that if the asset is already in the level and you try to reimport it UE5 will crash. If you create and open a new level without any references to the mesh before reimporting UE shouldn’t crash.

I’m having the exact same problem, I guess this should be fixed since it’s a bug.

1 Like

I keep having the same problem today, in Unreal 5.3.1 on Linux.
Regardless of how I import the FBX model and then try to Reimport the editor crashes without any error messages.

Curiously it worked fine yesterday, and today I opened the project and now every reimport crashes the editor - even after I delete the model and import it fresh…

I’m having the same issue in 5.3.2 when reimporting assets that were imported via “import into level”.

The issue okay after having restarted the engine and attempting to reimport said asset.

I’ve replicated the error in fresh projects with different objects, same problem.