ConnectionTimeout when Client connects to listen server over the internet

Hello Friends!
I’ve developed a third person sports game over the last weeks. I am stuck on network testing.
I’ve built a binary and shared it with a friend and my brother. I initiated a session as a listening server.
But neither of my clients can connect. They get a ConnectionTimeout resulting in a black screen and an abort connection after some time.

This is the important bit of the log I found:
I have replaced my external-ip in the log with “my-ip” . I hope you don’t mind.
Here is the entire client log-file and server-side log-file

LogNet: Error: UEngine::BroadcastNetworkFailure: FailureType = ConnectionTimeout, ErrorString = UNetConnection::Tick: Connection TIMED OUT. Closing connection.. Elapsed: 60.01, Real: 60.01, Good: 60.01, DriverTime: 60.01, Threshold: 60.00, [UNetConnection] RemoteAddr: :7777, Name: IpConnection_2147482587, Driver: PendingNetDriver IpNetDriver_2147482588, IsServer: NO, PC: NULL, Owner: NULL, UniqueId: INVALID, Driver = PendingNetDriver IpNetDriver_2147482588
[2020.05.17-14.42.50:103][252]LogNet: Warning: Network Failure: PendingNetDriver[ConnectionTimeout]: UNetConnection::Tick: Connection TIMED OUT. Closing connection.. Elapsed: 60.01, Real: 60.01, Good: 60.01, DriverTime: 60.01, Threshold: 60.00, [UNetConnection] RemoteAddr: :7777, Name: IpConnection_2147482587, Driver: PendingNetDriver IpNetDriver_2147482588, IsServer: NO, PC: NULL, Owner: NULL, UniqueId: INVALID" (From the LOG)

My Log of the listening server does not show any sign of an attempted connection. So it fails on the client side completely. I am standing completely in the dark right now. Can someone point me in a direction?

Note: I have forwarded my Port on the Router for port “7777” to my local machine, but nothing…
It also works locally, when trying to run both server and client from the same machine, obviously.

Some Specs:

I am using this Network-Card:

• Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1435 Wireless Network Adapter
  • Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Router:

• FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable

Thanks in advance!

push.
Please, someone?

Hi Yogurt, did you ever solve this, i am having the same issue too.

Hey @smokersCough, unfortunately, I did not! I am currently engaged in other projects and have given up for the time being. Sadly. I wish you good luck with your solution. Feel free to share, if you find something out.

Make sure that your map/server is marked as listen so when you server travel it knows to open the connection.

World->ServerTravel("/Game/Maps/YourServerMapName?listen");

HI Chaxshadow,

This is using the console from a packaged build i.e. the host loads the map using:

open “mapname”?listen

and the client uses the console using

open “public IP”:7777.

But i experienced the same issues Yogurt did, are your suggestions actually BP or code setup or a console command.

Thanks.

Hey Chaxshadow,

your map/server is marked as listen

I did this, of course. I think you can find the command on the log file I provided (Download the log file and search for “Command Line:” in your editor. In the server-side script I wrote “FC_Basic?listen -game -log”). Since the whole process works when I do it locally in the same LAN, the command syntax is correct. I suspect that the problem is an overall networking related problem unrelated to Unreal. I think that either my Router blocks the Access or the NAT translation does not work and so my associates can’t target my IP address. My only hope was, that maybe there was some, to me, unknown Unreal feature that helps with this problem. Or maybe some networking expert that has some trick of the trade, how to fix it.

Have a nice day,
Yogurt.

I Think the solution he provided is C++ Code judging by the Syntax “World->ServerTravel()” and the “;” at the end.

That’s kind of the issue, there is no session or server support setup in my project, i just wish to distribute a build and use console commands from the build to let people connect. As you suggested before i also believe it’s a router issue and that Virgin media here in the uk don’t allow you to properly unblock port 7777.

I’ve tired numerous approaches using their router but nothing worked. I’ve lodged a query with them as this is likely to be the main issue, will update if i manage to get this working, in case anyone else is running into this issue.

I am also having this issue.

I believe i’ve found the problem, i had set the port forwarding up correctly and everything else was correct, however, it appears i was missing one simple thing!
The public dependancies in the Project.Build.cs file were missing the following:
“Networking” and “Sockets”, so i modified it to this:

PublicDependencyModuleNames.AddRange(new string[] { "GameplayAbilities", "GameplayTags", "GameplayTasks", "Core", "CoreUObject", "Engine", "InputCore", "UMG", "ApexDestruction", "PhysicsCore", "Networking", "Sockets" });

I’ve posted the full answer and logs that i had with the issue here: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/1006902/view.html

2 Likes

This seems to make sense at a first glance. I am also familiar with the C++ Side of UE4 by now. However, It bugs me, that there is no “purely” UE4/Blueprint solution. Thanks for sharing.

This tutorial series creates a basic FPS multiplayer game via blueprints in UE5.

try to search for connectionTimeout.Try to increase the connectionTimeout variable for dedicated server and see the results

I used DefaultPlatformService=NULL and I had to
[OnlineSubsystemSteam]
bEnabled=false
SteamDevAppId=480

set bEnabked to false, that made the trick fpr me.