Download

Complex Collision for moving objects

Hi,

I couldn’t find an answer to solve my particular problem. Actually, it’s almost the same as Complex collision for moving objects - UE4 AnswerHub

I’m using the rolling ball template. I want to make an obstacle course. I created a tunnel (static mesh created with a hollow cylinder shape).
This tunnel should rotate above a cliff, so the player has to have the right timing to get over that cliff through the tunnel.

The problem is the collision. I created a blueprint, added the tunnel, added timeline + rotation. The rotation only works if the mesh is movable. The collision (complex as simple) only works if the mesh is static.

So my questions are:

• Is there ANY way (be it c++) to enable complex collision on movable meshes?
  • If not, how do I create a “tunnel collision mesh” in UE4?

Thanks,
Ben

I think your best choice is to create the tunnel in 3d yourself, and create a mesh that will be the collision in UE. After that comes the ticky part. Name your tunnel e.g. Tunnel01 (what a genius name:eek:) and name your collision mesh to UCX_Tunnel01 and export. Import it and there you go:)
I hope it helped.

Or you can enable the Use Complex Collision as Simple in your Static Mesh to have per-poly collision. I usually use that a lot. :slight_smile:

Thanks Sim220, I could import it. It’s working now, but it’s a real performance break :slight_smile: I guess I have to come up with a more simple collision mesh for the tunnel.

@ryanjon2040: that only works if you do not want to move the mesh around.

Anyone knows why creating a static mesh is not a performance killer when “complex as simple” is activated whereas an UCX collision mesh is a real break when the object is set to movable?